Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Aftermath Of Labyrinthitus

Guest MaryEMac

Guest MaryEMac

People may remember that I posted in January about having labyrinthitus and also having tinnitus. The doctor sent me for a hearing test which revealed that I had lost some hearing in my left ear which was my good ear. Today I have been fitted with a hearing aid which means that I am now wearing two. It feels different and I am not sure that it is set up quite right but I have to give it a week or so to settle down. When I went back to playgroup this morning, I could actually hear 2 children who were talking in the home corner from the other side of the room. It was nice not having to ask people to repeat themselves. My staff have been very supportive over this time as has the committee. I still have tinnitus but it comes and goes, it can be especially bad when I am under pressure but school holidays are wonderfully quiet. Just wanted to let you all know how it was going and to thank you forr your support in January when I was at a very low ebb.

Mary

I could actually hear 2 children who were talking in the home corner from the other side of the room. It was nice not having to ask people to repeat themselves.

Wow Mary - thanks for the update! What a bonus to be able to hear things you have previously missed. I do hope the new hearing aid sorts itself out and doesn't need readjustment.

Sorry to hear that the tinnitis is still ongoing though - is this likely to be with you permanently?

Good to hear you so positive though!

Maz

I'm so pleased to hear you are back at work and now hearing better. It drives my mum round the bend that she can't hear and for some reason she has never got on with her hearing aids.

Actually it must be a good opportunity to talk in the setting about what they are, how they help and what it might be like not to be able to hear properly. Do the children notice them at all?

I took an elderly friend to the audiologist not long ago and was blown away by the technology they use to 'tune' a hearing aid, and the lady was so lovely too. Here's hoping if you have to have your new hearing aid readjusted that your experience is just as positive.

I'm pleased to hear that you are well on the way to sorting out your hearing, and you're enjoying being back at work hearing all the things the children are saying, even at a distance. I wonder if your hearing is now sharper than other people's? that could be interesting :oxD

Sorry the tinnitus is still there as that must be both frustrating and tiring. Let's hope you don't feel under too much pressure so that you have more quiet times.

Great progress, I'm one of those unlucky people who have to have ears syringed regularly so I know exactly what you mean about being able to hear stuff previously missed. I can remember last time thinking how noisy my hand was sliding down the bannister

It must've been awful to have reduced hearing but glad to hear that that side of things is being sorted out now. I hope you don't get the tinnitus too much but perhaps it will serve as an extra reminder to chill out when times are getting stressful! :o

Glad your feeling better.

Yes I agree 2 hearing aids are better than 1! After wearing one for 5 years then using 2 hearing aids its great to hear converstions. Albiet at college and at Brownies because I am not working at the moment.

Beth