Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Are Students Counted In To The Ratio.

Can anyone tell me if a student can be part of the ratio.

Thanks

Welcome to the Forum gracieb!

It depends on the age and experience of the student and whether the registered person thinks they are capable enough to be counted as part of ratios.

Page 32 of the Statutory Framework says: Staff/volunteers/students under the age of 17 cannot count towards the ratio and should be supervised at all times. Individuals aged 17 and over who are on long-term placements may be included in the ratios if the provider is satisfied they are competent and responsible.

Maz

Edited by HappyMaz

Take a look at p32 of the Statutory Framework for the EYFS....

Staff/volunteers/students under the age of 17 cannot count towards the ratio and should be superivised at all times. Individuals aged 17 and over who are on long-term placements may be included in the ratios if the provider is satisfied they are competent and responsible.

Hope that helps.

I would just add that I would not consider it 'good practice' to include students in ratio.

Rather depends on the student and how long they've been with you though don't you think, Sunnyday? I'd like to think I'd have been considered suitable to be counted in ratios when I was on my EYP placement! :o

Maz

Rather depends on the student and how long they've been with you though don't you think, Sunnyday? I'd like to think I'd have been considered suitable to be counted in ratios when I was on my EYP placement! :o

Maz

Beg your pardon Maz - that would of course be an entirely different matter!!! That said I would rather enjoy the 'extra pair of hands, eyes etc.' and give the student the complete freedom to follow his/her own needs than 'cash in'!!!

I'm afraid I have had students that I wouldn't count in ratio for providing care and education for hamsters never mind precious children!!!

Not that hamsters don't deserve the best, of course they do!

Sunnyday

I'm afraid I have had students that I wouldn't count in ratio for providing care and education for hamsters never mind precious children!!!

I've known qualified and experienced practitioners who fall into that category sunnyday! xD

I do agree with you though that there are some employers who would 'cash in' by including their long term students in their ratios, and I know I'm lucky that since we work with at least a 1:6 ratio I've never been in this position.

But I have known groups who are supporting a student through a long term course such as a DPP pay the student to be part of ratios when staff cover was needed rather than have to close because of staffing issues. In these cases provided the student was competent and reliable I wouldn't have a problem - but it comes down to the registered person's opinion of the student's capabilities at the end of the day.

Oh, and I was never counted in ratios whilst on my EYP placement - bliss! :o

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)