Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Inspirational People

JacquieL

Is there someone you have found really inspirational in your life, someone who has made a difference in some way? Do tell us all who and why?

My choice is Dorothy Heathcote, a truly innovative drama teacher. She left school at 14 to work in the mills but was sent off to drama school to hone her theatrical talents. It was Dorothy who introduced process drama, using drama as a holistic learning medium. It was Dorothy who introduced the mantle of the expert approach to teaching and learning.

Congratulations on youir 3000th post - WOW

I think it has to be my daughter - all of my children inspire me in different ways but that could be a very long post and I'm sure everyone with children feels the same.

What especially inspires me about my first daughter is how much she changed my life and set me on a path that has led to where I am now. My life was topsy turvy when I became pregnant and I was causing a lot of damage to myself and the people around me. Whilst pregnant I realised there was more to life than my sorrow and I picked myself up, finished my university degree (I was just about to drop out) and threw myself wholeheartedly into becoming the best mum I could be. I struggled through the first few months - breastfeeding whilst writing essays in the middle of the night but remember it as a blissful time. I came out with a 2:1 degree, had my daughter not given me the strength to see that through I may never have been able to get my EYPS today. She is 12 now and her personality is an inspiration to me - she has a wicked sense of humour and is the most laidback, self confident person I know - nothing like me when I was a child. Her joy in life is an inspiration to me.

Congratulations on youir 3000th post - WOW

I think it has to be my daughter - all of my children inspire me in different ways but that could be a very long post and I'm sure everyone with children feels the same.

What especially inspires me about my first daughter is how much she changed my life and set me on a path that has led to where I am now. My life was topsy turvy when I became pregnant and I was causing a lot of damage to myself and the people around me. Whilst pregnant I realised there was more to life than my sorrow and I picked myself up, finished my university degree (I was just about to drop out) and threw myself wholeheartedly into becoming the best mum I could be. I struggled through the first few months - breastfeeding whilst writing essays in the middle of the night but remember it as a blissful time. I came out with a 2:1 degree, had my daughter not given me the strength to see that through I may never have been able to get my EYPS today. She is 12 now and her personality is an inspiration to me - she has a wicked sense of humour and is the most laidback, self confident person I know - nothing like me when I was a child. Her joy in life is an inspiration to me.

Oh dcn - what a wonderful reply.

I will have to give this some thought - I do know really but hard to explain - will think about how to put it into words.

Many congrats. on 3000 posts!!!

Sunnyday

Off the top of my head I would say my mother in law, who sadly died last year.

She fell in love and got pregnant when she was just 17 and desperately wanted to marry the lad, but her mum was a bit of a battleaxe and he ran away at the registry office when he saw her! Then he joined the army, became ill and died. She brought up her son by herself at a time when being a single mother was a massive scandal. When she met my father in law, they got married and had 4 children quite quickly - she was already late 30's/early 40's by this stage. They had barely any money so they took in lodgers. She had 4 children under 5 and a house full of Irish labourers, with no mod cons! Her son met and married a lovely Irish lass but a drunk driver ran into their motorbike late one night, killing the daughter in law and leaving her son disabled. Their youngest daughter also had a bad car accident in which her face was completely smashed and needed rebuilding. A few years later the same daughter developed a rare illness and needed a heart and lung transplant to save her life. Throughout all these episodes my mother in law sat night after night at their bedsides, and still had the determination and energy to keep life as normal as possible for everyone else around her.

She never complained about her life, or had bitterness for anything. She always looked on the bright side and just got on with things. She never stood in judgement over anyone and was always there to offer words of advice and sympathy when needed, or just bustled around doing practical things which often meant more than any words. She was a truly super lady!

Jaquie, My uni had her achieve there, she was mentioned an awful lot in my drama studies during my B.Ed. (I did main subject drama).

I think the most inspirational person for me educationally is Rosy, the other reception teacher when I was an NQT. She was such a friendly person and a great teacher. She taught me so much about great early years teaching. She was my Manchester mummy (born 5 days before my mum in the same hospital and both mums still live in Sheffield!) and took such good care of me in that scary time that is your NQT year.

She's such a lovely lady and has so much time for people despite a very hectic life at home and work and her influences are still with me now.

I have three people who has been an inspiration to me, its difficult to choose one, will have to have a good think about this one.

jojom x