Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Get Real?

Morning

Has anyone been told to 'get real'?

We had an 'advisor' in last saturday and I got my feedback yesterday.

Apparently we are too plastic. We have got to get real especially in our outdoor area. I think we have got quite a nice outdoor area - large covered area that is 'zoned', a playhouse, football goal, bikes, large construction out on the grass when fine.

But Ive been told that this is not enough.

I've got to have a garden/digging area with real trowels and spades, a construction area with real hammer and nails and a role play with real plates and knifes and forks.

So what I'm basically asking is - has anyone got some good ideas. We are a two form entry reception class with four members of staff.

Help!

Becs

hi i am a pre-school - we recently had an advisor in - she mentioned some of the above.we went with what suited us - we brought some plastic knives forks and spoons form ikea think they were about £1 for 12 pieces,also brought plastic bowls plates cups from ikea for about the same price.we didnt think real stuff would be appropriate and wouldnt last as would get broken so compromised.

we have now made a digging area in the garden with child sized tools we got from the range (sorry dont know if its just local to me) think the tools were about £3 each-we need to get a new wheelbarrow - but must admit that the children especially the boys love it.

we also added real food packets to role play - one good idea is to stuff the boxes with paper before stick them down so they dont become crushed within seconds. you could also add dried pasta in containers to the area to "cook with" and even some cut up vegetables - we too have done this and the children love having something in the saucepans

hope thats a help x

Edited by blondie

We have as many real things as we can. We use the High/Scope approach in our school and have done for many years so we have always ensured the children get the real feel for things. sometimes when visitors come in they are amazed at how capable the children are with hammers, saws and glue guns etc.

I know that it takes a leap of faith and maybe the bet way to start is small bits at a time. I have some photos from my school and some other schools in our area if you would be interested in me posting them here.

There is also a good book out at the moment from the Basic Skills Agency called Communication Friendly Spaces and in there they are talking about natural objects and open ended activities especially outside.

Good luck but take it easy to start with!

By a four year old in class yesterday-" School is not real life thats when you go home"

Yes but that's what I think about work. I love my job and I always say at the weekend "oh well, back to real life". Mind you I do have teenagers at home lol!

Sue

boys or girls - teenagers? which are worse?

its 'prom' time in our house - the aftershave, hair gel etc, etc! Makes Early Years a doddle in comparison! They only want glue or to find the end of the 'sellotape''!

Hi

Thanks for your replys and ideas.

Emilia it would be great if you could post some pics.

We spent yesterday redesigning our outdoor area - the football goal may have to go in place of sensory and digging areas!

Becs

we brought some plastic knives forks and spoons form ikea think they were about £1 for 12 pieces,also brought plastic bowls plates cups from ikea for about the same price.we didnt think real stuff would be appropriate and wouldnt last as would get broken so compromised.

I believe that children in Montessori settings use china plates and glasses for snack, and wash them up afterwards. They would probably argue that if children are taught how to use resources properly they usually rise to the challenge and accidents are rare.

That said, Ikea cutlery and bowls are fantastic value for money and they do bounce! :o

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)