Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ou Corses E230 And E243

Hi all

I am at that point where I need to make a decision about which course/s I study next. I am going to continue with the OU but was wondering if anyone has had any experience of E230 and E243 (two 30 pt courses at level 2).

What are they like compared to E115?

Is it possible to do them both at the same time? or is there too much work load?

Any advice please....greatly appreciated.

Hi, I am really struggling with working full time and doing both these courses. They are more interesting then E115 but both assignments are due in at more or less the same time for TMA 1 I got a good result for E243 but only a pass for E243 as I had to rush it.

I didn't fancy sitting the exam in the 60pt courses, so that's what attracted me. Are the course materials interesting? I have found E115 pretty arduous!

Anyone thinking of doing ED209 the Child Development course? Looks interesting but the write up isn't very complementary. Not over the moon about doing an exam but the thought of adding extra time to my study by doing 2 separate courses isn't either! Caught between a rock and hard place!

E242 and E230 for me are up there with the very best of course :oxD

My only criticism of E243 was that it had to end I absolutely loved it.

E230 again is a brilliant course and I highly recommend both of them :(:(

I agree with Cait about them being level 2 courses and therefore graded -if you intend to continue to BA (Hons) level these grades will play an important role is ascertaining your degree classification,

Neither of these courses are anything like E123/124/115.

I'm a bit confused about this OU thing! I am about to finish my E123 and E124 (which I've been doing together). When do I have to decide what to do next? Or do you automatically do this E115 I've seen mentioned on this thread? I don't get it. Sorry I can't give advice on the question regarding E230 and E243! x

Not sure if you have to do E115 next but I would think most people do because it builds on E123/4. Don't be put off of it, it's hard work and takes a bit of getting used to but I have found it very useful says she with two essays to write!!

E115 is the progression, yes. But beware - it's unlike E123/4. It's rewarding, but you don't realise it at the time, it makes you self-evaluate your practice and make a professional development plan for your own future. Are you planning to do FDEY?

I'm doing E243 at the moment which I have overlapped for four months with the dreaded E115. Actually I quite like E115....it's not that bad if you get the hang of the EYCLOS!!! (Gosh! Did I really say that???)

Anyway E243 is just getting interesting and I agree with Geraldine that it is up there with the very best. I can't wait to be able to give it 100% as I finish E115 at the end of the month..........only an essay for 243 to do along with the 115 ECA. Must be mad!

So yes I would recommend this course. Don't know anything about the 230 yet but I hope to do that alongside the E215 next. :o

I'm doing both 230 and 243 and am finding them interesting.

Will feel much better once I have E115 ECA out of the way as I am over lappin the 3 at present, yes I am mad!

Both great courses although would like a different question for 243 as the readin is fab and could say 3000 words if onlt it was written differently, typical or wot!!!

But IMO go for them they r fab

Will feel much better once I have E115 ECA out of the way as I am over lappin the 3 at present, yes I am mad!

Gosh :o not sure about 'mad' but I take my hat off to you. I did have a couple of overlaps of course during my study but not for any great length of time but to have THREE on the go all at once WOW!!

I hope you don't mind me offering a friendly piece of advice :(

A really crucial point is the collation of your E115 ECA. It's a while since I did the course but from memory it had section 1, section 2 and then all the dear old EYCLO's. The guidance on how to present it was quite precise and it is VERY easy to miss something out, make some minor slip up and the 'cost' can be quite high.

I recall someone who missed out an EYCLO completely. She printed out all 12 and then took her chosen focus EYCLO and put it as the appenxix for section 1 (as required) but she then forgot to print anothe copy and put in the 'EYCLO' section. Under that stress having actually done the work of writing it it is such a shame when things go awry in putting it all together and of course doing two copies of the whole thing!

I made my own checklist from the guidance to make doubly sure I had everything and it was presented in the order they wanted it. It was a list with tick boxes and included date/confirmer signature/my signature for each eylco, appendices , references, word count, page and PI numbers etc just to make sure I really did get it all the way they wanted it!!

I know the distress of students who had to resubmit due to some 'technicality' they had overlooked which was such a shame after months of hard work and all those TMA's

Good luck with all three courses, glad to hear you are enjoying E243 and E230 and again, hope you don't mind me having a ramble! xD

I was thinking of doing E115 with E243 the first year and E215 and E230 the next - has any one any comments on this combination?

I was thinking of doing E115 with E243 the first year and E215 and E230 the next - has any one any comments on this combination?

I had an overlap with E230 and E115 but one course started in February and the other one didn't start until May so I was well underway with first course.

I think whether a combination of courses will work is dependant on personal factors such as family/work committments.

I am not sure what you have done so far but E115 takes some getting used to as you get your head around lots of new terminology. E215 builds on E115 and you will be familiar with some aspects. E243 and E230 are what I almost call 'stand alone' courses, each unique in its own way and very different from any of the other early years courses.

I think if you are determined in your study then you will find a way of making the combination of courses work for you. From my experience things can get a bit hectic when you have assignments due in at the same time but that's down to time management.

It is also perhaps worth bearing in mind that either combination will involve a total of 90 points of study and that E243, 230 and 215 are level 2 courses so it is worth considering this in comparison to the points/level of study you are doing/have done.

Not sure I have really helped but good luck with your study and the decision making. :o

Edited by Geraldine

Thanks everyone for your honest replies. Geraldine your advice about E115 ECA checklists sounds brilliant - I can see exactly where you are coming from. I think you are helping me to decide on taking the E243 and e230 route. Didn't realise the bit about the mark counting towards degree points. Forgive my ignorance how does that work?

Didn't realise the bit about the mark counting towards degree points. Forgive my ignorance how does that work?

The grades you get for your level 2 and level 3 courses are used to determine the classification of your honours degree. I posted on another thread how it works so will do a search and see if I can find it :o then I will pop back and try to put a link in xD

Awww thanks Geraldine - I think I may well be calling on you again in the future

Mmm! the post I was thinking of didn't give the detail I thought it did and also I still don't know how to put a link in! :o

OK here goes:

It makes sense to me that the 'better you do' in your level 2 and 3 courses then 'the better the classification of degree' . However, the way the OU do it seems a little back to front! They take 120 points worth of study at level 2 and 120 points worth of study at level 3 and give each of your course results a 'weighted score'.

They take the point value of the course and multiply it by your grade of pass so:

E243 at level 2 worth 30 points with a student getting a pass 1 would get a score of 30. A pass 2 would get a score of 60 (points of course x grade of pass).

For level 3 they do the same but when they have the 'score' they double it! they then take the 'scores' and add them together.

For a first class degree your score needs to be 630 or less

For 2.1 degree it is 631- 900

For 2.2 degree it is 901-1170

For a 3rd class degree it is 1171 -1440

There is also a quality assurance test and to get a first class degree you must have at least one distinction (pass 1) at level 3.

I think I have said before that classification is not important to everyone and we all think differently, for me it matters and though I would love a first class degree I am hoping for a 2.1. I am doing the final course now and at the moment my 'score' is 480 so if I can manage a pass 2 I should be OK - all positive TMA writing, project doing, vibes are very welcome. xD

Hope this explains it OK if not shout and I will try harder!!!

Good luck Geraldine, when are you due to finish this one? No wonder you need maths GCSE!

:o Thankyou xD

I am 2 TMA's done and 4 to go and a research project (argh!!) Not too bothered by the TMA's but need to find a minimum of 10 research papers for my literature review :( searching for these is sooo time consuming but hey ho onwards and upwards. The TMA's are due later this month then june, july and august and the project late September. I just keep thinking the end is in sight :(

I'm doing both 230 and 243 and am finding them interesting.

Both great courses although would like a different question for 243 as the readin is fab and could say 3000 words if onlt it was written differently, typical or wot!!!

But IMO go for them they r fab

I take my hat off to you! E115, E230 & E243 are you super woman?

Hi all

I am at that point where I need to make a decision about which course/s I study next. I am going to continue with the OU but was wondering if anyone has had any experience of E230 and E243 (two 30 pt courses at level 2).

What are they like compared to E115?

Is it possible to do them both at the same time? or is there too much work load?

Any advice please....greatly appreciated.

Hi,

I did E230 last year and really enjoyed it and Ii am finding E243 just as enjoyable. As for E115 no words can discribe how much i have hated it. So much paper work and late nights. Still just the ECA to do now.

I take my hat off to you! E115, E230 & E243 are you super woman?

Definatley NOT!

MAD is the word that springs to mind LOL

There is only this month that is a major head ache

tma2 for both 230 and 243 are due in end may the 1st JUNE ECA for 115!

Idon't think i'll be sleeping much at the end of the month!

But I can see a glimmer of light :-) :(:oxD

Definatley NOT!

MAD is the word that springs to mind LOL

There is only this month that is a major head ache

tma2 for both 230 and 243 are due in end may the 1st JUNE ECA for 115!

Idon't think i'll be sleeping much at the end of the month!

But I can see a glimmer of light :-) :(:oxD

I m doing the same, mad is definately the word!!!

good luck

(Hope we dont have to send the dreaded PEF!

(Hope we dont have to send the dreaded PEF!

If you do get the letter requesting your PEF I suggest you spend time checking that it is set out the way it is described in the guidance. I can't remember exactly now but there was something about a front page about you, what your job is etc.

In my cohort some students had the PEF returned and had to resubmit it :o so worth making sure it is all OK.

I got 'picked' and I sent it with some blank poly pockets with labels on - the PEF can only contain confirmed evidence and I was awaiting signatures on the latest lot of EYCLOs so I couldn't put them in! I stuck a note on saying something like 'In accordance with OU guidelines I am unable to file unconfirmed evidence and this EYCLO is currently waiting my confirmers signature'

A colleague of mine has had the dreaded letter to send in her PEF. It has to be sent shortly after the ECA is due (cannot remember the exact date so won't guess). So in theory all the EYCLOs would be signed by the confirmer and as complete as they can be as they will have been sent off with the ECA. Presumably any additional evidence for elements would then wait until E215 to be submitted, although of course the EYCLOs can and should be updated between the end of E115 and the E215.

A colleague of mine has had the dreaded letter to send in her PEF. It has to be sent shortly after the ECA is due (cannot remember the exact date so won't guess). So in theory all the EYCLOs would be signed by the confirmer and as complete as they can be as they will have been sent off with the ECA. Presumably any additional evidence for elements would then wait until E215 to be submitted, although of course the EYCLOs can and should be updated between the end of E115 and the E215.

You have got it spot on Deb :o Her PEF should be complete in that all EYCLO's should be signed by confirmer and herself and all evidence listed must be filed accordingly.

You are absolutely right that EYCLO's should be updated between the end of E115 and the start of E215 however, in reality we found no need to actually physically update the EYCLO's because during the gap between courses you could end up updating pieces of evidence more than once and of course there is no where to 'send them' as you are not officially studying either course. What alot of people did was to update in terms of continuing to collect the hard evidence and making notes on eyclo's but not getting them signed by confirmers until E215 started and it was back to the submitting the dear old EYCLO's again!

Of course this will depend on the gap between courses - some go more or less straight onto E215 and others go off and do other courses and therefore have a longer gap.

The people requested to submit their PEF's in my tutor group were given the 12th June to submit.

Does that mean they have all been requested then?

Can i breath a sigh of relief yet?

Vicky

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)