Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Open Day

Hi there,

Can I ask, how many of you hold open days for the septmber intake/prospective families?

In september we changed to full day care (915 to 3pm) and are afull all day every day but have had one or two people asking for an open day/visit prior to September. The odd visit I can handle, although visiting parents want to chat and I sometimes find my day is spent not with my current children but with future families and to be honest, at this time of year, it's getting a bit much.

For next year I'd like to hold an open day where people can come and see how the rooms are set up and have any questions answered.

Can you tell me what has worked for your setting? I have a committee meeting on the 13th of May and would like to have a plan drawn up before I do next years term dates, which I need to take to the meeting.

Thanks everyone

Sam

Hi Sam,

Yes its only natural that some parents will want to have an open day/visit before parting with their precious ones!! I think to hold open days whilst you are in operation is very distracting for everyone and not fair on your current intake of children.

May I suggest if it is at all possible you use a Saturday morning or an evening during the week and ask the committee for "over time" for your staff or some incentive to encourage them such as time off in lieu.

Hope you find a solution to your problem.

Thanks Anderspm,

I had thought about the saturday/early evening and have a feeling it's going to be our only option. Because we're a new build & so different from what we used to be, it's understandable we're attracting more attention than in previous years. Interestingly, one of the parents asking about the open day has already had 3 children come through us and is also a teacher.

I'm tempted to close for the day to current children and offer an open session around March time for prospective families. We've already had complaints from some parents this year because we had to charge for the final week of last term (only 11 weeks funding) but then had the 20th April for staff training and are closed for the Bank Holiday on monday.

I guess there's no way to please everyone all of the time!

Sam

hi we have an open day once we have finished for the summer - as we finish a few days earlier than schools we can thenhave all our staff there.the parents are sent letters advising them of their childs sessions in september onwards and invited to the open day at the same time.

we set the room up as a session and the parents and children come between set hours and stay for as long as they want -during this tiem the parent meets with their keyperson ,chats about the child,the recordkeeping .they are shown the books used for record keeping etc.they can also discuss any issues they wish to raise

this is a great time as children are busy playing and the parents can also mix with other new parents and chat with them.

this is also the time we try to get new committee members.

if you need any more info please let me know

Thanks Blondie - that's really helpful. What happens for those who are considering coming to your setting? Do you offer any kind of open sessions for them? The summer term idea is great for those already registered and confirmed but what about those undecided?

Sam

We have gone from a pre school that always had spaces available and let parents and children look around whenever suited them to a pre school that is now full and has a full register from Sept 2009. While some of our new starters have looked around we are holding an open afternoon for those who havent and any who have their name on the waiting list or are due to start in Sept 2010. To have children and parents looking around at the moment causes too much upheavel for the chiuldren in the pre school and takes a member of staff out.

Im going to put out a selection of activities for the children - do a small presentation on the EYFS for the parents and then generally just chat and let the parents natter together. I will also take the oppertunity to get parents to fill in permission slips and give out tee shirts sweatshirts and book bags - hopfully making it easier on the first morning back. As I said this is the first timewe have done this so I will let you know if it worked!! :o

I'm currently planning our 1st open morning, we are doing it on the day that the children go for their "trial" morning at school, both rooms will be set up and the other children will still be there but as we are quite low in september it won't be very busy. I'm hoping that doing it this way we can show exactly what a session is like - that's the idea anyway :o

That's a great idea! Hadn't thought of that and it means we could have the ones who'll be coming through to the preschool from september in there too which means people will see it in action but it won't be too busy!

All I need to do now is find out when the school's holding their visits and hope all 24 going to the nearest school are going at the same time! The other 15 are going elsewhere.

Sam

forgot to say thank you mrsbat!

Edited by sam2368

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)