Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Initial On Entry Assessment In Nursery

Hi there!

I was wondering if anyone can help me. I am looking for an assessment format to complete with my new starters in nursery relating to their knowledge of numbers, letters colours etc? At present I have a number recognition assessment and a initial assessment relating to the 6 areas of learning that I complete but I would like to incorporate letters, sounds, colours etc. Does anyone have a format that they currently use, as I have been told "not to re-invent the wheel!"

Would really appreciate it!

Thanks

:o

To be honest I wouldn't be creating a checklist of what I think they should/can and can't do - I would use the EYFS ages and stages framework and finding out where they are against that.

Cx

Absolutely. Who has said you should be doing it like this? We used to have a sheet - which will be uploaded onto here somewhere - which had the six areas of learning for parents and key staff to complete together but we abandoned that when we took on the EYFS as we didn't feel it encompassed what we were now doing. I can have a search for it if you like

Absolutely. Who has said you should be doing it like this? We used to have a sheet - which will be uploaded onto here somewhere - which had the six areas of learning for parents and key staff to complete together but we abandoned that when we took on the EYFS as we didn't feel it encompassed what we were now doing. I can have a search for it if you like

Yes please! I am tying to find a simple format that will help me assess the child when they enter nursery mid term as most have already been to another setting - i suppose almost a baseline assessment. We already use the EYFS develop matter statements and profile points to assess in general, I just wanted something really simple to use in their first two weeks so that I can plan their next steps and show to the parents.

Thank you!

sorry but i agree with catma use stages and ages in the eyfs

long obs and knowledge through key person and parents/carers will show what can be done as you get to know the child

New setting and experience a child could take a while to settle aand what use would a form be it wont show you what a child may be capable of

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)