Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Rising Fives?

Hi, does anyone know at what time in a school year a child who is 4 can can be classed as this? I've been asked to take on another child who is 3 on in july but the child who is due to start full-time school in sept still needs care and im not sure if i will be able to have the 3 year old aswell. If not then it looks like i will have to lose work and then may not be able to fill the place.

Not sure it is an exact science with this description - can be in the term before a child's birthday they would be a rising 5 or sometimes it's used for the term before starting reception which can amount to the same thing depending on admissions policies.

Cx

To my understanding a child who is 4 is classed as an over 5 is when they start full time educaton at school in september

Perhaps you could ask Ofsted for a variation of ratios for those few weeks

I had this problem last year when I had 2 minded children start school who were 4. Ofsted said that once the were in full time education (all day at school not half days) then the were classsed as a 5 year old.

Hello.

I also believe it is when the are at full time school.

This has happened to several of my childminder friends and they have obtained variations from Ofsted to allow them to still take the extra child.

It may happen to me and this is what I intend to do.

hi, everyone thanks for your reply. I thought that it maybe the case of they could only be classed as in the over fives once at school in sept. I will have to do like westbrom44 said and ask ofsted for the variation on numbers for the summer holiday.

Guest tinkywinky

Hi there cassei,

the message I got from ofsted a year ago was that until a child actually attends school - full time, you cannot take on another child.

hope this helps

Guest NIKI74L

hi

this came up recently whillst i was talking to another childminder and she had been told by ofsted that aslong as the childwas at school they were classed as over five ...But when school holidays came around she would be four and you would be over your numbers???? seems a strange one !!

nikki xx

I had to contact Ofsted last year about this and was told once in full time education they were classed as 5 weather term time or holidays as I double checked this as the wording in the EYFS book seemed to suggest that in holidays they would be 4 like Nikki said.

I would talk to Ofsted Cassie and see what they say and definatly ask for a variation whilst you need it. I had to ask for one last month (only for a few hours one day a week) and I didn't even get a call this time just a letter saying they were going to change it and if I agreed to sign a form and send it back, then a week later I got my new certificate. Very quick so happy parents!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)