Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

First Aid At Work Trained Staff

HI,

we have first aiders at nursery, in fact most of us are, the thing is we all have paediatric first aid certificates, do any of you know if we need first aid at work trained staff for the event of staff having accidents at work?

Dawn

snap, i just need some clarification from someplace, just not sure where to find it right now :o

Not as far as I know Dawn - but I could be wrong! We would be in trouble if that is the case!

Sunnyday

I'm fairly certain that the EYFS only mentions the 12-hour paediatric first aid course. I've never been asked for anything different and nor have I heard of Ofsted mentioning it at any of the recent inspections I've had feedback about.

Maz

Guest Wolfie

All of our duty managers have attended the four day First Aid at Work training in addition to the paediatric course - so that there is always someone on the premises who is able to deal with any emergency involving the staff rather than the children.

I'm not sure whether this is a requirement but we decided that it was definitely good practice.

Edited by Wolfie

Hi

Thats the same for my setting training runs through adults too.

We are attached to a school and there is a adult first aider on site so i guess we are ok.

I would like to think someone knew what they were doing if i had an accident :o

Sam

Hi i have just renewed my First aid at work so had to complete a 2 day course, we also have to do the paed course. My boss is well up on what we need and wouldnt send us on the courses if not needed as she has to pay for them !!!!

At our setting we always ensure that all staff are first aid trained, especially as this is now free as part of our Early Years training. I have also always had the fit persons attend Appointed Person first aid as the paediatric course does not entitle anyone to administer first aid to a colleague or other adult. I have just updated my paediatric 1st aid and was delighted to find that the tutor had cross-referenced it to Appointed Persons, and we achieved both certificates on one course - how enlightened!

My understanding is that each setting should have an Appointed Person first aider under employment law.

Our settings staff have paediatric first aid trainng, it is our understanding that this is enough. If you have more staff-not sure how many, you would need somebody with first aid at work.

samfrostie :o

Guest Wolfie
My understanding is that each setting should have an Appointed Person first aider under employment law.

Yes, I think that's why we decided to put all managers on the First Aid at Work training now I come to think of it!