Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Chairs - Plastic Or Wooden

As part of our refurbishment, I'm having new furniture in my classroom.

I've decided on plastic Galt chairs for the messy/craft area, but would really like

wooded chairs for the area which I am calling (at the moment) 'the quiet area.'

I've chosen wooden tables with a coloured trim around the edge, and I'm thinking of matching

wooden chairs.

What would you recommend wooden or plastic?

Many thanks,

jackie. :o

As part of our refurbishment, I'm having new furniture in my classroom.

I've decided on plastic Galt chairs for the messy/craft area, but would really like

wooded chairs for the area which I am calling (at the moment) 'the quiet area.'

I've chosen wooden tables with a coloured trim around the edge, and I'm thinking of matching

wooden chairs.

What would you recommend wooden or plastic?

Many thanks,

jackie. :o

i would also go for wooden, i also have plastic chairs for our messy areas and thats great for keeping them clean! however we have wooden chairs around the tables for snack and other activities. its homley and they are sturdy, get good quality though as this year we are having to sand down and repaint our wooden chairs- the use of them over the years has worn the paint away.

definately wood and i'd go for Community Playthings ones.................in fact, i'm saving up for some! I bught the Hille plastic ones when we opened,and they need scrubbing to keep clean, and several have split down the back.........and the suppliers told me we must have misused them, so wouldn't replace them( they are used by 2-4 year olds!).Anyway, no argument for me..........CP, wood, every time ( and of course, their products carry a 10 year guarantee).I'd get the tables from them too.....we have them and they are wonderful.

We have blue plastic nursery chairs (go-pak - I think) - we have had them for years and they have served us very well - my deputy - because she is a complete angel - has been taking them home two by two over recent weeks to give them a thorough clean and they are looking very good - children seem to find them comfortable.

Sunnyday

We have community playthings equipment which is lovely and in an ideal world would have bought their wooden chairs too. However, having to replace 22 of them, the cost was out of the question. Instead we bought Postura chairs for 3-5 year olds (295mm)(you can get bigger) at around £15.00 each and they are fab! They are lightweight, so easy to stack, easily cleaned, ergonomically designed to fit the children and children cannot rock on them.

I can let you have the website where we bought them from or I'm pretty sure they're in the Consortium though were more expensive in their (I did negotiate with our local supplier www.dorsetofficefurniture.co.uk

). Think they are an australian design, 10 year guarantee. Took a few weeks to get them but well worth the wait.

if you can afford wooden ones then definately go for them. if they are a good quality wood you should be able to wipe them down as I am sure the Community Playthings ones you can.

The only thing I wood :o say is to check the width of the chairs when placing side by side under a table. Buying different chairs to different makes of tables might lead to problems as we found out. We bought the postura ones like mentioned and found that some of our tables they are just a little too wide.

Thank you for your help and advice, I do think wood is the way to go, but unfortunately I don't have control of the money, so I will have to use my powers of persuasion :o

And good point apple, it wouldn't have crossed my mind to check sizes xD

jackie.