Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Mirror Writing

I'm sure I've read somewhere that children's mirror writing is a good development as it shows that there have been a connection in the synapses in the brain which controls body 'handedness' or something.

This is for children who have been writing their name quite happily and successfully for a little while and then suddenly start to write it backwards, as if viewed in a mirror.

Has anyone else come across this research, I've googled it but not found anything. I'm constantly reassuring parents that it's a good thing and they're not to worry about it - and particularly don't tell the child 'it's wrong'.

What I generally do is encourage the child to start at the top left of the paper if they are tending towards the right hand side.

I'd be thrilled if anyone knows what I'm talking about!

Certainly do! Although Ive not heard that theory it is quite common in young children, often left handers and is all to do with position of writing on the paper, so encouraging and even actively teaching or focusing on left to right flow is how Ive dealt with this.

Well I've never heard that theory either but just wanted to say: I have four children of my own, 3 of whom left handers and all 3 of htese went through a stage of mirror writing. My right hander didn't and interestingly enough neither did my Gd ho is also a left hander. Certainly does seem to be more common amongst them

Guest mukerjee1

Hi Cait,

there's an interesting article on www.teachingexpertise.com 'Developing pencil control and mark making' that supports what you have been doing.

Hi Cait,

there's an interesting article on www.teachingexpertise.com 'Developing pencil control and mark making' that supports what you have been doing.

What an interesting website. Thanks for flagging that one mukerjee1 !!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)