Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

End Of Fs Levels!

Hi

I am sure this has been discussed before but wanted to know your opinions on what our school improvement officier wants us to do at the end of FS. At present i pass on the children's scores using the EYeprofile and meet with the yr one teacher to discuss children's strengths and possible targets for the coming autumn term. The year one teacher and myself have been talking about the possibilty of her continuing using the Eprofile with her class as most of my reception children are not at the end of it when they begin in yr one and then address the levels issue at october half term. However our SIP and head teacher have said that doesnt show the progress in terms of data that we need for transition from rec to year one so they want me to translate my final scores on the children's profiles into p levels to give to the year one teacher to use at the start of the year. Could I have your opinions on this - how do you transfer your data, in your schools and what do you think I should do? Thanks Ems x

Hi Ems well your SIP and HT are wrong! There is no need for 'P' scales at the beginning of Y1 as you are quite right to finish the EYe-profile and they will be able to monitor progress.

Also there is no correclation available between end of FSP scores and end of KS1 targets and there is info from Ofsted to clarify this.

I suggest you speak to your EY Adviser and get some input and support from them.

Hi Ems well your SIP and HT are wrong! There is no need for 'P' scales at the beginning of Y1 as you are quite right to finish the EYe-profile and they will be able to monitor progress.

Also there is no correclation available between end of FSP scores and end of KS1 targets and there is info from Ofsted to clarify this.

I suggest you speak to your EY Adviser and get some input and support from them.

Well said, Emilia!

I would have thought that the whole point of the eprofile is that you aren't doing Pscales. What's the point of garnering useful information in one format if you have to translate it to fit into a different profile! (square pegs and round holes!) If they want it in P so badly, they can get on with it! It's not like it's something you could quickly do in a lunch hour! I think getting your EY team in for some moral support is in order!

You might want to direct them towards

"The P scales have not been designed for use in the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS).

The P Scales and the early learning goals have been written for different purposes and have been constructed in different ways.

* The early learning goals specify expectations for children’s progression by the end of the Foundation Stage, while the P Scales were written for use with children of National Curriculum age who are working towards level 1 or who are working within levels 1 or 2 of the National Curriculum for extended periods of time. They were written primarily for supporting target setting in the context of the National Curriculum.

* The early learning goals themselves (and consequently items 4–8 in any scale) are not necessarily hierarchical and do not necessarily reflect progression.

For these reasons P scales should not be used in the Early Years Foundation Stage. "

HERE

Thank you so much for your replies - I feel so much better now - I have been saying this at school but now I can go back and say them again with the conviction that its not just me who beleives this!

Thank you and I think i will get my EY advisor to have a little chat with our SMT!!

Guest tinkerbell

ems

Unfortunately everything is data driven in school now.

I am Reception /half year 1 teacher,KS1 coordinator and assistant head.....we have just been Ofsteded and the first question they asked me when they came into school was ....tell us where the present year6 children were when they entered school.

They are looking for added value

My Ht has said she will want 'ball park figures' from me next September with my new intake...I said there would not be numerical data .

People on this site have already started talking about marking reception children in their literacy against APP which is falling into the 'trap' and actually telling HT and managers that the EYFS can be transferred into National curriculum......and quite honestly there are several lit and numeracy statements that are the same ! but if we are making a stand that the EYFS is a holistic curriculum and the 6 areas are all equal and it must not be used to 'predict' where the children will be at the end of yr1 or yr2 we do need to be firm.

good luck Tinkerbell

I read somewhere recently and I think it was within the P scales stuff online that EYP should be used until the end of the Spring term and only then should P scales be used if profile was incomplete.

I read somewhere recently and I think it was within the P scales stuff online that EYP should be used until the end of the Spring term and only then should P scales be used if profile was incomplete.

Thank you that is the sort of thing I knew I had read but wasnt sure enough without finding it - will look online

Thanks ems

In yr1 you also have to see that a child who is achieving 78+ with 6= in clld/psed scales is doing well and you don't have to "coplete" the profile, just get on with NC work and then assess against NC levels later. I would only be using EYFSP for a child in Yr1 if they were below the ELGs (ie 1-3 in most areas especially CLLDPSED.

6+ in all scales in an area is a good level of attainment.

You don't use P levels and you can't translate EYFSP scores.

Cx

In yr1 you also have to see that a child who is achieving 78+ with 6= in clld/psed scales is doing well and you don't have to "coplete" the profile, just get on with NC work and then assess against NC levels later. I would only be using EYFSP for a child in Yr1 if they were below the ELGs (ie 1-3 in most areas especially CLLDPSED.

6+ in all scales in an area is a good level of attainment.

You don't use P levels and you can't translate EYFSP scores.

Cx

Thank you ! x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)