Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

R.e. Display 'good News'

Hi everyone

Hope everyone has had a lovly day today it is absolutely scorching today in Liverpool, dont want to go back to work tomorrow xD. Anyway a week on tuesday we have got our R.E. OFSTED inspection and we are teaching the topic 'Good News' from the Here I Am scheme of work. I am really struggling of ideas to do with my display on this topic and was wondering if anybody had any suggestions and wouldnt mind sharing them with me. The main gist of the topic is to talk about good news in the first week and deliver good news to each and receive good news from others. In the second week when the inspectors will be watching we are focusing more on the good news of the holy spirit and the pentecost etc. Can anyone suggest any ideas for my display?

thanks for your help

kate :o

could you do it as a newspaper for the first week then the children could then deliver their news to others this way ? does that make sense. the display could be like lots of newspaper cuttings or headlines

Edited by blondie

OOh what a great topic! Er, could you find some good news newspaper cuttings (that could be hard) or make a class newsletter of good news? Do you have home diaries you could trawl through to find some good news like 'Ashley rode her bike today by herself' or something. Hopefully keeping it at that level to start with will help them understand the personal nature of the good news of Pentecost for individuals

Sorry but my knowledge of Holy Spirit and Pentecost is very, very limited but following on from the nice idea of 'newspapers' as a method of approaching this topic, could the children then discuss and decide WHAT makes each headline GOOD,

ie, Headline: Mrs Jones has baby boy, 7lb 2oz (Good being -'new' life celebrated') or...

Headline: Class 1 enjoy 'Litter Bug' day. (Good being- community spirit, helping look after / caring for the environment)

Does that make sense??

Peggy

thanks everyone for your ideas i love the idea of a newspaper article but am a bit confused how to approach this and set this up so that it is the childrens work and can be displayed. Any ideas?

Kate :o

thanks everyone for your ideas i love the idea of a newspaper article but am a bit confused how to approach this and set this up so that it is the childrens work and can be displayed. Any ideas?

Kate :(

Time is short, would have been great if you could hve had a visit to a newspaper printing works.

Maybe do something like

1/ Talk about good news.

2/ talk about newspapers, How does the 'news' get to the paper

3/ talk about reporters, photographers.

4/ set up a 'news' desk in the classroom (roleplay)

5/ demonstrate how it will work ie: TA comes to teacher (reporter) tells some news, teacher 'asks questions to gain more info' and scribes the story. Then enable children to play. newsteller / report writer.

6/ Have newsdesk set up permenantly, a few children each day take turns to be the 'newsdesk reporter'.- as children arrive at school (or at another time that fits in with the timetable) children go to the reporter and tell their news, (real or made up) the child reporter can either write or use symbols to represent the news story told to him/her (with adult support)

5/ Have an 'editing day' Preparation-you know what stories have been told during the last few days, use what the children have written (maybe type up some headlines or get the children to think of some) have some pictures or photo's ready that would go with the news stories (ie: good news-Sarah did 20 jumps on the trampoline-have a picture of a trampoline, Lost dog found-have a dog picture etc) look at the layout of newspapers, then in small groups have the children 'design' a front page for display.

7/ other things to look at-Newspaper Title ie: Gazette / Herald / etc. day & date, index, headlines, layout etc. colour or black/white, photographs.......

Just thought I'm getting carried away here, this is becoming more about 'newspapers' than it is about 'What is good' ....still you may be able to use some of the ideas. :o

Possibly discuss with the children all the other ways good news is conveyed, (cards, banners, email, phone, letter, TV, Radio etc etc) and how it makes people feel when they receive and give good news. :( Put on the display 'what it feels like to get good news or to give good news comments by children written or drawn. Maybe ask the children What is the best good news you've had or given? scribe and display.

THE GOOD NEWS TODAY IS THAT SARAH HAS GOOD NEWS. xD:(

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)