Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Im New And Need Some Advice!

Guest poppysue

Guest poppysue

hi all,

im lisa and have only jsut signed up a few weeks ago.

i need to ask a few bits,

one is how do you work out hol pay, i have a baby starting next week( my first!!) and will only have him in school time so how do i charge this one?

also when we have finished lunch/dinner and time to clean up i would then put which are my own kids in the other room to clean up. is this ok with c/minded children? still finding my feet!

many thanks

lisa x

Hi Lisa,

I have been a registered childminder for 8 years so I hope I can help you out.

If I have a term time only contract I do not charge for the school holidays. I then feel free to say that I cannot work in the holidays or I give the slot to another child who is only there for holidays. You need to talk to the parents and see whether they would need you in the holidays at all.

If that child is taking up a space that you can't fill in the holidays you would be within your rights to ask for a retainer to cover the holidays but you then need to keep it free for that child.

Basically you need to work out what's right for you and the parents. But do make sure it is very clear so you don't have disagreements further down the line.

I find it simplest to charge full rates for all contracted hours whether they are there or not but then I charge nothing if I am ill or on holiday.

I don't feel that I have to be in the same room as childminded children at all times. As long as the room is safe and I can hear what is going on I think it is reasonable to clear away after meals and things. I wouldn't go off and do my ironing but I do clear up the mess made as part of the childminding day.

I know that is different from group settings but Ofsted accept that we have to work in a different way and they have always been reasonable with me. Lets face it - we all have to go to the loo sometimes!

It does feel like a bit of a minefield when you first start but you'll soon work out what works for you and the children.

I hope this helps you.

Alison

Guest poppysue
Hi Lisa,

I have been a registered childminder for 8 years so I hope I can help you out.

If I have a term time only contract I do not charge for the school holidays. I then feel free to say that I cannot work in the holidays or I give the slot to another child who is only there for holidays. You need to talk to the parents and see whether they would need you in the holidays at all.

If that child is taking up a space that you can't fill in the holidays you would be within your rights to ask for a retainer to cover the holidays but you then need to keep it free for that child.

Basically you need to work out what's right for you and the parents. But do make sure it is very clear so you don't have disagreements further down the line.

I find it simplest to charge full rates for all contracted hours whether they are there or not but then I charge nothing if I am ill or on holiday.

I don't feel that I have to be in the same room as childminded children at all times. As long as the room is safe and I can hear what is going on I think it is reasonable to clear away after meals and things. I wouldn't go off and do my ironing but I do clear up the mess made as part of the childminding day.

I know that is different from group settings but Ofsted accept that we have to work in a different way and they have always been reasonable with me. Lets face it - we all have to go to the loo sometimes!

It does feel like a bit of a minefield when you first start but you'll soon work out what works for you and the children.

I hope this helps you.

Alison

hi alison,

thank you so much for that.

i spoke to the mum today as had him settling today and she said she would pay a retainer fee but i said that fine. we agreed to spread the cost of the hours over the whole year, so i will still have money coming in over the hols. but was not sure how to charge on sick days. so you charge if they do not come but not if your sick? yeh. just find it hard as im not paper work minded or no how to charge for things yet!! your help is great!!

thats good that i can leave the child to clean up, like you siad it would be hard to do everyday things if not!! lol

i can see the child as i have a hatch in the wall.

many thanks lisa x

Hi Lisa

Can't help with your questions I'm afraid. I am going to move this into the childminding forum where you may get some more replies.

Linda

Hi Lisa,

Yes, I work on the principle that if the place is available the parent pays for it. If I can't work for any reason I don't charge because the parents may need to pay that money to somebody else. The parents have always been happy with that arrangement because it feels fair.

I know some childminders who have tried to charge for their own holidays and no matter how you do it, it just seems to cause resentment.

Have you joined the NCMA? If not, it might be worth it as they have lots of good advice, sample policies, etc. Have a look on www.NCMA.org.uk.

Hello, I am also a childminder.

I have a parent who is a teacher and one who is a lecturer in a college. They both work term time only. I charge for the whole year, and have never offered term time only. Both parents have known this and have never made any comments to say they are not happy. They both still send their children in the holidays for part of the time, as both say they have planning to do.

I only dont charge if I am ill or on holiday.

Hi im achildminder to, and I also charge for all year but agree to 4 weeks 1/2 pay for holiday- this is because I work all year- but if I didnt want to work during the school holidays than I wouldn charge-

Absoluty fine not to be in the same room as the child- My children have free flow through 3 rooms and garden- I cant be every where at once!! but I am very aware of where they are and what they are doing.

Welcome Lisa

I agree with what the others have said although I do get paid for up to 4 weeks holiday a year(I don't always use it all). I make sure I give out the majority of the dates in January each year and if I do add any extra on give as much notice as possible. When I first registed I used to do like the others if they didn't attend still full fee , if I couldn't offer a service no fee. The only thing I found with this (especially when my husbands hours dropped) was I couldn't afford to take time off. The majority of people get full paid time off in most other professions so why not us we work hard and deserve a rest every now and then. Some of my parents then take their holidays off when I take mine some still take it when they want - I have never felt any resentment from them, quite often when gettting to this part on the contract the parents comment that they wouldn't expect me to take unpaid holidays anyway. I don't charge if I am ill though. It's up to you to find what would work best for you and your family.

Sorry, I didnt answer your query regarding the children when you tidy after lunch/dinner.

As the children finish their meals, I wipe mouths, hands, etc depending on age of child. Then they are free to leave the table or I get them down from the highchair. The children then go to play either in the same room or in my lounge, dining area, conservatory or even garden. I can see into the conservatory and garden from the kitchen, or I will keep popping my head around the door to check on the children.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)