Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Self Evaluation Help

:o Can anyone suggest any self evaluation schemes for use within a pre-school setting. The ofsted inspector has made this our point of consideration so help!!!!!!! please :)

Well, many years ago, we used to be sent a self evaluation schedule prior to Ofsted Inspection, so how's that for full circle!!!!! :o

Will give it more thought and get back to you, Jacqui, I've probably got something somewhere, or are you doing Accreditation? They often have one or something similar when you start off!!

Sue :D

Guest Sycamore

I use Clive Davis stuff in the foundation stage. I haven't got the titles at home but google him, he is excellent. I went to his assessment lecture at the Early Years Exhibition in October and we also use his books in rest of our school. If you have trouble finding out about the stuff let me know.

just to get back to the point for a minute for jacqui D, there is a book which i think is called something like 'effective early learning' which is about self evaluation. I think it could be Christine Pascal. I may have remembered this wrong but Im sure someone out there will know the one Im talking about.?

Hi Jacqui,

We don't use a published self-evaluation scheme, because we decided to cobble together one of our own. I use the term "cobble" because it's, as we say, a "work in progress!".

We started with the SPEEL research (you can read about this in the articles section). We looked at the roles of the individuals within the setting as the first and most important aspect of the whole process. We plan to carry on with this in our weekly staff meetings next term because we now have two new members of staff who need to be included; it clearly has to be a whole staff evaluation process, and not just another job for the management team!

We also have an annual development plan and review (which I write with my management colleague). The headings are:

* Achievements during the last academic year : nursery

* Achievements........................: staff

* Reviewing policies and practice (we review our policies annually, spreading them over several staff meetings)

* Staff development

* Curriculum development (I'll say a bit more about this later on)

* Plans for next academic year

Curriculum development:

We decided that planning for PSE, Art, Music, and Physical development would be taken out of our weekly planning sheets, and we would begin a nursery curriculum file. This would explain in detail how, for example, we cover each of the Physical dev. stepping stones/aspects, etc each and every session. As well as listing all the regular activities we have available, we also developed a movement programme (like a mini PE session), which changes weekly. This has really taken the pressure off the weekly planning, and our Ofsted inspector was happy with it. We have done/are doing the same for PSE, Art and Music. I also write a bit about how far we have got in this respect, in the annual review above. I hope this is making some sense! :o

Finally (!) we plan to review each area of learning every year, planning them into our weekly staff meetings, eg last week we looked at reading, how we encourage children into the book area, how we try and make sure one member of staff is available to read to the children throughout the first two hours of the morning session, what we do at Big Book time to encourage phonic awareness, knowledge about story structure, etc. This is all minuted, typed up, and every member of staff has a copy. A copy is also kept in our staff meetings file (again, our Ofsted inspector really like this)

I hope this has given you some ideas from where to start.....and not completely freaked you out xD

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks very much for that, Rosemarie. Is this something that you are required to do in Norfolk, or is it guidelines for best practice? Or maybe part of their QA advice? Whichever, it looks well-organised and would, I'm sure, promote some good discussions in staff meetings. I think I'll use it next term in ours. :)

Thanks, that looks really useful Rosemarie, just what I've been looking for!

We came out of Special Measures this time last year, and so will have another Ofsted this time next year, so evaluating our practice in this way will be really helpful.