Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Refusing To Eat

has anyone any advice please, my 18mth old was ill about 5 weeks ago and went off his meals completely. lost quite a bit of weight then started to pick up again but only eating yoghurt refusing everything ive tried ti tempt him with, took him the doctors today and was shocked to see he only weighs 26pound, doc said this is average for his age, but when i checked on centile scale for his birth weight he was 10lb lighter than he should be, he was quite chubby and now he is so skinny you can see his ribs and shoulder blades, doctor said not to worry just dont make an issue of it, i havent been any way, i know they will eat when hungry but its still a worry, surely he cant survive on 4 yogurts a day, even parents at work have commented on how much weight he has lost, i thought the doctor might of given some kind of supplement but said hes fine!

I have the same problem with Samantha she only eats yoghurts (8 a day) and fruit (melon grapes and kiwi). If she is really in the mood for eating she will have a bit of pasta or a criossant or some crisp. Dont really have any answers on how to get around this, but I wanted you to know I understand the anxiety your feeling. I give Samantha a multivitamin each day to ensure she is getting the correct ammout of nutrients and I continue to offer her family meals apart from that there is not much else can be done. To make a big deal of it will probably create more difficulties is the long term.

My little one went through a very similar thing 4 months ago. I got really worried, she lost loads of weight and started to look quite poorly with it. I took her to the doctor and the health visitor and they said not to worry she would be fine as long as she did have the 3 yogurts she was taking per day (no other food and hardly any milk).

After about 4 - 5 weeks she was still refusing food. Then over night 4 big back teeth came through just like that. The very next day she went back to eating everything and anything in sight!!

Hope your little man is feeling better soon. I know it is easy to say but try not to worry too much!! :o

My grandaughter is nearly seven(well in 2 weeks) she only weighs 45lb (3 stone 3 )and is healthy even though she only loves yogurts and has to be in the mood to eat other things, yet when she had her school medical they said she couldnt have been more average. The nurse said we have got used to seeing heavier children and think its the norm xD .(she is average height)

I think if he was chubby he probably only looks slim to people who knew him before.

Im sure his eating will pick up and just get lots of nibbles and tempt him to get his appetite back.

Hope everything works out well. :o

Well, I might sound harsh, but have you tried not giving him a yoghurt? At least for a few days to see what he'll do.

I understand you want him to have the yoghurt because its better than nothing, but as young as he is he knows the yoghurt will be forthcoming if he refuses to eat.

Give him the same food as you would eat, or something he used to eat well (just a small amount to start) and while you continue to eat yours ignore the fact hes not eating, chat about everything but food and when you've finished clear the plates away. No child will willingly starve themselves, its our anxieties that they latch onto, even when we think we're being cool and not making it an issue. Try putting vitamin drops in his drinks too.

I know how difficult it can be, especially at that age, my 16 year old has a really small range of foods but better than it used to be.

And dont panic, your doctor didnt :o

I was going to say the same as Rea I have a sixteen yr old who is healthy and fit but I did the mistake of only giving him things he would eat. so now he has a limited diet. it is getting better with peer pressure and not wanting to look stupid in font of his friends, but I know that because I was always worried about him eating enough I only gave him what he would eat. instead of putting the same food as everybody and he either eats it or not. It is a cotrolling mecanism to control the adults. I have a child at the moment at our group who is under the Child development centre and they have told the parents that a 3 yr old won't starve themselves and will eventually eat what they need off of the plate. If they are filling up what must be a small appetite if they servive on just yoghurts then they need to build up their stomachs to accept more so try taking onw yoghurt away and giving it only as a treat if they eat something else before. It is a battle and I do sympathise as have been through it but now have a 6ft 2 very fit young son.

Steph

All three of mine were picky eaters as babes, but like Steph, that was because I mainly gave them what I knew they liked. Only the eldest still has a restricted diet but even she's finally trying new foods i.e. lamb stew and keema curry, which is huge as she's refused to eat meat for the last 6 years! As for vitamin drops or tonics, I still give all three of mine Minadex each day which, was what my mum gave us when we were kids.

Karrie

thank you every one for your replies, its makes me feel a bit better knowing its not that unusual! hopefully its a phase he will grow out of soon!!

I still give all three of mine Minadex each day which, was what my mum gave us when we were kids.

Karrie

As soon as I read 'minadex' the taste came back into my mouth! I used to love it! We had that after our spoonful of cod liver oil!

As soon as I read 'minadex' the taste came back into my mouth! I used to love it! We had that after our spoonful of cod liver oil!

i got some abidec vitamin drops for baby, used to get these for eldest whose 24!! still taste foul!! baby normally loves medicine! only one i know who gets exited when getting calpol and asks for more!!! if only he was same with his food!! his face was a picture when he tasted the abidec!

Will he eat the yoghurt with 'bits' in? Was just wondering if you could start adding stuff to the yoghurt

I'm curious now Cait... what do you have in mind?

When I read this the first thing that came to mind was... (And don't ask me why.. I'm just strange!)

Strawberry flavoured yoghurt; with added chicken bits - Mhmm! Yummy!

Think it'd sell well? :oxD

I'm curious now Cait... what do you have in mind?

When I read this the first thing that came to mind was... (And don't ask me why.. I'm just strange!)

Strawberry flavoured yoghurt; with added chicken bits - Mhmm! Yummy!

Think it'd sell well? :oxD

Hmm, now that's a different combo!

No, what I wondered was whether you could crumble a bit of weetabix in, gradually changing the ratio so it's weetabix with yoghurt on. Or added chunks of strawberry or blueberry, that kind of thing

Hmm, now that's a different combo!

No, what I wondered was whether you could crumble a bit of weetabix in, gradually changing the ratio so it's weetabix with yoghurt on. Or added chunks of strawberry or blueberry, that kind of thing

must of read your mind tonight! tried weetabix in yoghurt! he ate a little then managed to spit the weetabix out! he then watched his sister eat an orange then asked for some! then threw it on the floor and said Yak!! oh well backto the drawing boord!! ive had a look on the internet and apparantly its quite common from 18 mths although both girls were really good eaters! he's just a ratbag! wont sleep in his own cot either!! but thats another story!!!

I had a ratbag too jaycooks, no matter how hard you try to follow the 'put them back' rule, eventually you give in to exhaustion and wake to find them next to you.

I once woke up in the bottom bunk to see hubby leaning over the rail above saying 'good morning'. Both lads and the cats were in our bed.

I had a ratbag too jaycooks, no matter how hard you try to follow the 'put them back' rule, eventually you give in to exhaustion and wake to find them next to you.

I once woke up in the bottom bunk to see hubby leaning over the rail above saying 'good morning'. Both lads and the cats were in our bed.

glas to know im not the only one!!! feel a hypocrite sometimes when parents ask for advice as i feel quite dysfunctional with the ratbag!!! wouldnt swap him for the the world though!!! he was my little surprise at 41!!!! keeps me on my toes !!! well! usually feel on my knees with exhaustion!!

glas to know im not the only one!!! feel a hypocrite sometimes when parents ask for advice as i feel quite dysfunctional with the ratbag!!! wouldnt swap him for the the world though!!! he was my little surprise at 41!!!! keeps me on my toes !!! well! usually feel on my knees with exhaustion!!

I always refer too mine as my bonus baby, and he's a real learning curve compared to my girls! :o

Fantastic!

That's an image which will make me smile for a while.

Anyone solved the mystery of why they have to sleep sideways across your bed once they are there?