Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Excel Help Required!

HappyMaz

I'm trying to insert a chart in a spreadsheet but it just won't work. This is someone else's spreadsheet, and the cells containing the data for the chart are protected since they contain formulae to perform calculations with data input elsewhere in the spreadsheet.

I wonder if the cells being protected is causing the problem because when I opened a new worksheet, entered some dummy data and was able to insert a lovely bar graph with no problems!

The people who wrote the spreadsheet can't be contacted until next week and its driving me mad because I want to do it NOW! :o I can't really upload the spreadsheet for you to look at because its not my intellectual property. Clearly I lack the intellectual capacity to even use the thing, let alone write it! xD

Anyone know if cells being protected prevent charts being inserted?

Maz

PS I should perhaps say I have Excel 2007.

PPS I should also say that I have tried to un-protect the cells but need a password!

Edited by HappyMaz

I don't know the answer but will have a little play with my excel and see if I can come up with a solution, I do love a challenge whilst avoiding the housework. :o

Peggy

Well, I haven't used excell for ages and can't even remember how to lock cells, a workbook, I think automatically locks.

If the person has locked individual cells then it may affect other functions such as creating graphs. I know this because I did a google question "How do I lock excell cells?"

see link, if you scroll down it goes on to explain how to enable more features, but not sure if this will help with your sheet as it depends how the cells have been locked (I suppose) Does that make sense?

Excel advice locked cells

Peggy

Peggy is right, without seeing the document it's hard to tell. It's possible to lock cells within a password protected document to prevent data corruption.

If you click on the formulas tab, you may find something in formula auditing which may help

My problem is I need to learn how to USE excel!!!!!

Perhaps we could go on a course together!?

I thought I was fairly proficient - used it to analyse my research data for both my projects and stuff. However whenever anything gets a bit too technical or things don't quite happen how I expect them to I get a bit lost! Trouble is I've picked it all up as I went along rather than actually being shown.

Maybe I need an idiot's guide!

Maz

I'm totally self taught on all computer programmes, lots more to learn though. I do prefer 'active' learning, now where have I heard that that's the best way. :(:o

I've tried 'idiots guides' but the technical jargon gets me every time. xD

Peggy

used it to analyse my research data

Just trying to do that now and failing miserably xD:(:( Why did I have to learn to do this now? Why couldn't I have learned it years ago when I was not as busy??? Why? oh why? Sorry everyone, I'm just having one of those moments!

I find this site quite useful and its free

Thank You

:o

Hello, this is KateKits husband, can i just ask where are you inserting your graph?

Is it into the protected sheet? If you follow the chart wizard you can put the graph onto a separate sheet, this would get around the protection.

With regards learning Excel, Microsoft do some excellent tutorials from www.microsoft.com, look up training within the search field.

The pages displayed are relevant to your version of software, (i.e. if you have Office 2007 you see tutorials for 2007 etc)

Alternatively, (tongue in cheek bit here), if you have some spare time, (end of tongue in cheek), you could try a distance learning course.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)