Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Managers Observing Staff

Hi,

I've tried searching to see if someone has already posted something similar to what I'm after but I can't see anything. Maybe someone can help.

I'd like some kind of observation sheet so that I can observe staff's performance in a session. It would include factors such as interaction style I think. I have a few tools I've developed for staff to evaluate their own practice but haven't really come up with one for myself. I want to use this to inform Development Meetings and Annual Appraisals so judgements are a bit less subjective. Does anyone have something I could look at and adapt?

I'd be very grateful!

Here is one I used to use. Page 1 criteria and scoring, page 2 blank sheet for recording and scoring observation.

Although dated 2004, it could still be relevant for today.

Peggy

Why don't you have a look at the Beel materials. I think they are excellent if you want more information just get in touch with me.

Maybe an idea to google it first to give you an overview of the whole programme.

Hi,

I've tried searching to see if someone has already posted something similar to what I'm after but I can't see anything. Maybe someone can help.

I'd like some kind of observation sheet so that I can observe staff's performance in a session. It would include factors such as interaction style I think. I have a few tools I've developed for staff to evaluate their own practice but haven't really come up with one for myself. I want to use this to inform Development Meetings and Annual Appraisals so judgements are a bit less subjective. Does anyone have something I could look at and adapt?

I'd be very grateful!

hi, i like your idea, i was wondering how you intend to carry out these obs, are you going to inform staff they are being observed or do it so they are not aware? i think they might put on a show if they know! (sometimes im too cynical!!!!!)

Wow! There's a lot to look at there - thank you all very much! I think I'm going to be busy ove rthe Easter holidays!

Yes I did plan to tell them in advance. We're a small, quite closely-knit team & I think I would know if they were putting it on. I thought it might eventually develop into peer-on-peer observations, but it's always a question of fitting everything in & I wouldn't want to detract too much from adult's interraction with the children.

I haven't heard of Beel so thanks for that - I'll do as suggested, Moorgate.

Hi Markimark, thanks for posting and the great link. There's a wealth of material on that link.

Hi all

Dont know if i've introduced myself before, been lurking in the background for a while.

I use this Peer observation record. Hope it helps

Why do pdf things always have so many pages! I've just copied this into word and repaginated it and it only takes 13 sides and a heck of a lot less ink if I want to print it out!

So now are you gonna post the Word doc. re paginated version then Cait?

Pretty Please with a cherry on top?

The Token Male

Tony

Hi all

Dont know if i've introduced myself before, been lurking in the background for a while.

I use this Peer observation record. Hope it helps

Hi

Thanks for the pdf. very informative

Jim

So now are you gonna post the Word doc. re paginated version then Cait?

Pretty Please with a cherry on top?

The Token Male

Tony

It might infringe copyright if I posted it on here

Guest pamgreen
Why don't you have a look at the Beel materials. I think they are excellent if you want more information just get in touch with me.

Maybe an idea to google it first to give you an overview of the whole programme.

I am interested in BEEL how does it work. It was mentioned last week at the Ofsted outstanding providers event.. I googled it and it looks interesting and there is a course next month. I have to convince our governors that it is worth £700.

Have you used this as a quality assurance scheme. Do you feel it has improved your practice.

It might infringe copyright if I posted it on here

Quite right Cait, I've made markimarks post invisible for the moment whilst I PM and ask for a link to the site where the pdf came from.

Please remember peeps that any material not produced by yourself may infringe copyright, if at all possible please put a link to the site from where the document you want to share originates from. Thanks. :o

Peggy

• 5 years later...

Hi all, I am having a bit of shall we say "trouble" with particular team members not getting along with one another, reports of staff doing more than others etc....I have held a meeting with the said staff but feel it still isn't really improving....I feel an observation of some sort may help me to get through to them??!! Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks! :wacko:

It sounds like something you need to address in a supervision. They need to be made aware of what is expected, and given a timescale for improvement, with support and training if you feel that's needed.

• Like 1

Alternatively you could have a go at 360 degree appraisals in which everyone gets to chip in on each other's appraisals and should (if they are completed honestly) get to the nub of the problem so to speak - However you will need to be prepared to deal with the can of worms that 360 degree apprasials open.

Business balls gives a pretty good explanation of what 360 appraisals are

http://www.businessballs.com/performanceappraisals.htm#360 degree feedback 360 degree feedback