Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Setting

me again, :(

Those of you who own nursery/preschool groups what do you trade under?

sole trader/ limited company??????

Any advise one way or the other???

also do you pay business rates and what is the criteria for paying business rates?????

sorry think this may just be the start of lots of questions - i apologise in advance xD:o

I am self employed, 'trading as'... if you know what I mean. Don't pay business rates and am not sure why not - except that the previous owner never paid business rates. Maybe it is something about renting rather than owning or leasing your premises?

What were you doing posting this at 12.25 - no case today? :o

Maz

Hi Hali

I have a partner so again probably not relevant. We used to run from a church hall and paid rent didnt pay business rates.

but have just moved onto a school building and will be paying business rates but as yet dont know how much or how it is worked out. We were just glad to get a sole use building. :o

Hi Hali. I trade as limited company, set up with help from local Business link people. I pay business rates but only half as registered as a small company.. The EYDCP also helped and the PSLA were brilliant in finding out where to apply an who to apply too for a variety of things. Your accountant will also be really helpful in ensuring you get things right and fill in required forms. They also sort wages and paye and sick pay etc ec. Hope it helps. DIdn't look but if you're in Essex can pass on useful contacts. Good luck!

Hali, Give business link a call they are really helpful. xD

Also go into every bank in the high street and ask them for their small business info (I got CD's with lots of useful info on about the different types of set-up e, business planning etc). Let each bank know that you may bank with them and they will be very friendly :o (until of course you open an account then they will bleed you dry with charges- ooops, sorry that comment just slipped in there :( )

Peggy

(until of course you open an account then they will bleed you dry with charges- ooops, sorry that comment just slipped in there xD )

Most banks offer a fee-free period once you've opened your business bank account. I bank with the Abbey National - they guarantee free banking forever and not just for a fixed period. They didn't even charge me when a parent's cheque bounced. I do everything via ATM or internet banking and it has all gone swimmingly so far. I've saved a fortune in bank fees, which is always a good thing! :o

Maz