Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Stone Age, Bone Age!

Hi All!!

Our preschool children have developed an interest in the stone age and a world without shops/cars/mobile phones etc etc. They are completely mesmerised by the story 'Stone Age, Bone Age' and insist on having it read to them daily.

With this in mind, we are trying to think up some activities for them to develop this interest further.

Has anybody got any suggestions??

Jellytots

wow! how interesting! the first thing that sprang to mind was being archiologists (sp?) in the sand tray, burying fossils and using tools such as small brushes to try and find the fossils. I also thought about dinosaurs BUT then remembered that humans weren't on earth when they were...

do you have a collection of old (but cleaned) bones available in your setting? I am attached to a school so can use resources from the science cupboard...building dens could be an interesting problem solving activityOOH and just thought about hyroglifics (sp?) they could create a great link with mark making for meaning...have fun jellytots, it sounds like you will be going on a very inspiring learning journey x

woodwork and and making tools/spears which could lead into hunting role play, making fires, could maybe toast bread over a little fire to give them an idea of cooking food on a fire

great topic!!

Our children enjoyed making their own fossils by pressing a fossil we had into some plasticene. We poured casting powder into the mould and they painted the finished product.

My brain is completely fried todayastic topic!!, so nothing helpful to add, but just wanted to say what a fantastic topic! Sounds really exciting! Maybe when you've done it you could put your planning in the resource library, because I'm sure others wouldlove to use it! And I'm a sucker for photos!

Our children enjoyed making their own fossils by pressing a fossil we had into some plasticene. We poured casting powder into the mould and they painted the finished product.

We have been Palaeontologists (fossil hunters) using compost and dog bones - the ones dogs and children eat!!! they come in various sizes - don't harm the environment or the children and have been great fun - we used tweezers (fine motor) paint brushes and spoons - no hands don't want to damage those prescious fossils one children spent 20 minutes gathering fossils and then placing them on a drawing of an aminal (in our case a dinosaur) to discover which were missing - says ah some have got lost or just disintigrated what a wow moment

g

Some fantastic ideas! Thank you all so much!! I am busy putting all together for next week, its going to be brilliant and im hoping we get some great obs from the children.

I will certainly add the planning and photos for you to all see your great ideas in practice!! It might be useful for some of you too in your own settings.

Watch this space!

Jellytots x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)