Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Potty Training

Having said everything above, my little boy decided in the last 3 days of the Easter holiday that he was desperate (excuse the pun!) to use the toilet and not have nappies. He kept taking himself off to the toilet, getting the baby seat out, setting up the toilet, taking off his nappy and trousers and going to the toilet all by himself!

So I thought I couldn't ignore it, much as I wanted to take the pressure off my mum and husband by leaving it to the summer holidays, and it would appear (don't want to count my chickens....etc) that he's practically potty-trained himself!

Fantastic!!

My understanding has always been that children are developmentally ready sometime between 2 and 3 years old. They do generally show a willingness to do it, but if that window of opportunity is missed then it becomes much more difficult later on. So you did the right thing by not pushing for it before, but going with the flow (so to speak :o ) when he indicated he was ready. You see, you are a good mum. xD

Fantastic!!

Well done you - just goes to show that everything usually works out in the end and by waiting until he was ready it became much less of a stress for him and you.

I'll bet you're so relieved! :o

Maz

I love this forum so much! I have toilet training conversations with my TA almost daily it seemsabout one child or another and so many of out comments you have all said. I currently am teaching in America in what is basically a special needs preschool class with 3-5 year olds (although the majority would not be in special ed in the UK, but in mainstream with support) . The majority of 3's are not yet toilet trained and in some cases thats because they are not ready, however in others its most definitly their parents who have the issues! Its so lovely to read a discussion hearing others say similar things - I have no children of my own and neither does my TA and neither of us have taught in this kind of class before so we have spent the wholde year muddling through never quite sure if we are doing it all "right"!

Thank you! :o

We also find that parents don't help with the clothes they put the children in.

We have one little boy who wears jeans all the time but as he is quite skinny they don't fit well so his mum adds a huge big leather belt with a buckle which he can't possibly undo. We have suggested he wears joggers but I don't think they quite suit her image so he only wears them for Forest School days when they're covered by his waterproofs!

Parents ..... don't you just love 'em?

Thanks for all your replies to this topic.

I agree Calicojo - parents don't always choose clothes that are manageable for children, I could start off a whole new topic with this one - why is at as practitioners we always encourage children to do what they can for themselves, support them with new skills and do the things they cant do for them and parents - myself included, insist on doing everything for them!?!

I mostly meet my children at the school and bring them home where even the youngest children help with taking their own shoes off and putting them under the peg. One three year old can take off his shoes and put them on and hang his own coat up yet when parents bring him it is all done for him.

Anyway potty training is going well and parents have taken my suggestions on board. I still feel that leaving it beyond three when children have been ready for awhile creates further difficulties as they start to feel pooing and weeing is a private thing whereas a 2yr old has no concept of this yet making potty training in a daycare setting more straightforward.

Your replies have encouraged me to think about this issue from parents point of view too though - so thankyou, glad you found it useful too ajjmouse

Reading this thread for my own personal interest (although believe or not we do hear of some children who wear nappies at night in reception). My daughter was about 2 years and 5 months when she showed some interest and telling me she had a wee and a poo in her nappy so we decided to go with it and we were doing well a few accidents a day but on the whole was pleased (as it was winter months we did have a lot of washing but could cope with that) when she went to nursery after the christmas hols she had a couple of accidents and one the members of staff told me she wasn't ready to be potty trained and she kept wetting herself (i had put a bag of 2/3 change of clothes for her and she wore clothes that she could pull and down i didn't put her in tights and dresses) so it made me upset. She ended going back into nappies. We stated again about the march time (she would have been 3 end of June) and this time she was dry both day and night and has been ever since. She still does have accidents leaves it to last minute and she is 5 so not sure if i did it too early i don't feel like i pushed her she told me when she is ready.

I have a son now who is 22 months and at the moment he doesn't show any interest in the toilet (over than putting his toys into it!!) he doesn't tell me if his got dirty bottom so thinking should i start in the summer or leave it. Are boys easier than girls to train???

Guest Mrs Tiggy Winkle
Are boys easier than girls to train???

In my personal experience with 2 sons and 1 daughter absolutely not! My boys were ready later and had many more accidents and took longer to be 'reliable' than my daughter.

I attended a conference a few years ago and went to the most fabulous, practical, down to earth workshop I have ever attended - the topic was toilet training. The advice given was as follows:

1. The age that children are trained has definitely been delayed by at least a year since the general use of disposables. It is thought that this is because modern nappies are so effective at keeping the child dry that they do not recognise they are wet/dirty. The answer is 'simples' (to quote the advert). Still use disposables but put a layer of kitchen paper inside which will of course stay wet!

2. Then wait until the child shows signs of what is happening.

3. Spend a week monitoring how often the bladder empties. Just look at the nappy and write down the time and if it is dirty/wet. You can them see the pattern. When you take the child out of nappies you will then know how often to take them to the loo - if it empties once an hour, take them after 50 minutes! This way they are more likely to have success and you can praise and therefore encourage them.

4. Finally give them a big drink of water 15 minutes before taking them!

It generally seems to work. Wish I had known 18 years ago when my son was that age!

Gruffalo2

She still does have accidents leaves it to last minute and she is 5 so not sure if i did it too early i don't feel like i pushed her she told me when she is ready.

My six year old leaves it til I realise why she is jiggling about and send her.

I can cope with that but I do wonder why my twelve year old is still doing the same thing!!

When, oh when do they stop holding on and just go? Or is it just that my kids are strange?

I certainly didn't push mine. I waited til they were asking to use the potty and neither had more than a handful of accidents.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)