Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Arrghhh..tearing My Hair Out Here!

Hi all

Well this CACHE assignment is doing my head in...allowed a total of 3500 word and this has to include a medium term plan and 4 weeks worth of planning as well as 10 lots of other things!

Can anyone please tell me exactly what the differemce is for these 2 questions?

1. Reflect on your own effectivness in providing a learning community for pr-school children and thir families

Include knowledg of constitution, following policies/procedures, working with parent, identifying needs, planning cycle, knowlege of facilties available to support children/families.

2. Evaluate the effectiveness of your pre-chool setting as a learning community for children and parents

include meeting needs, learning for children and parents, transferable skills, confidence in childcare, social skills, management committee, PPLA courses, parentla involvement, evidenecof application to employment, HE. Discuss possible areas for development and factors which may hinder, links with governement and social policy.

Is it me but if you look at what to include its not all relevant to the question pu if you ook at th questions the ony difference is reflect and evaluate??? Not sure of the difference here?

any advice appreciated!

Edited by marley

Only had a quick look but is it

1/ providing - what you do and how - plus resources such as use of 'other agencies'

2/ outcomes - benefits to children in their learning, then wider context of; parents, community learning

consider children need to feel safe to be able to learn, parents need to feel confident and supportive of your aims, etc etc etc

maybe consider your responses linked to the 5 ECM outcomes. ( No 2 reminds me of 'positive contribution', but not excluding other ECM outcomes)

Hope this helps, I may be totally wrong though.

Peggy

hi there,

Don't panic!

Have you got a link with fellow students to ask them what they make of it, or even the tutor?

The first one looks like you reflecting on your direct practice, the second on the settings ? Do you have a marking criteria- then as long as you tick all those aspects you should be ok!

good luck

Hello, I completed this unit last year (currently working on the option unit).

"Reflect on your own effectiveness ...." is what you personally contribute to your setting. I wrote about being a key person and relationships with parents, how I use observations and profiles to track progress as well as training, research and how I contribute to planning and parent's notice board. I also wrote about how I could improve. I was told by tutor that sentences should be "I ....".

"Evaluate the effectiveness of your pre-chool setting ...." is reflecting how your setting is effective as being a learning community. I split this into 2 parts, parents and children. I wrote about how we welcome families, our parent notice board, parent forum, communication, newsletters, interaction with outside organisations and visitors, questionaires, training, lunch clubs, enabling the environment, planning, key person, routines (flexible). I also included plans for the future and how the setting could improve (e.g. holding more training courses for families). For this part tutor said sentences should be "We ...".

I have to add that I haven't had the marks back for this one yet! This one was tough to include all the plans into the word count. I only did a 2 week summary plan with 6 focus activities (3 each week) in more detail to cover all areas of learning and development. More based on what we actually do in our setting and less like the example one the tutor showed us.

Remember the the first one (E8) is only worth 5 marks and that the second one (A) is worth 15 marks (assuming the same as my assignments).

Good luck squeezing into the word count. Hope this helps a bit.

hi there,

Don't panic!

Have you got a link with fellow students to ask them what they make of it, or even the tutor?

The first one looks like you reflecting on your direct practice, the second on the settings ? Do you have a marking criteria- then as long as you tick all those aspects you should be ok!

good luck

Hi

Got no fellow students as its at home learning..ony a forum and no one ever on there! Tutor is a bit funny...only allowed to contact her twice per unit and already done that. She never offers advice when asked for it either.

Ho hum...will press on taking on board your comments! Thanks

Hello, I completed this unit last year (currently working on the option unit).

"Reflect on your own effectiveness ...." is what you personally contribute to your setting. I wrote about being a key person and relationships with parents, how I use observations and profiles to track progress as well as training, research and how I contribute to planning and parent's notice board. I also wrote about how I could improve. I was told by tutor that sentences should be "I ....".

"Evaluate the effectiveness of your pre-chool setting ...." is reflecting how your setting is effective as being a learning community. I split this into 2 parts, parents and children. I wrote about how we welcome families, our parent notice board, parent forum, communication, newsletters, interaction with outside organisations and visitors, questionaires, training, lunch clubs, enabling the environment, planning, key person, routines (flexible). I also included plans for the future and how the setting could improve (e.g. holding more training courses for families). For this part tutor said sentences should be "We ...".

I have to add that I haven't had the marks back for this one yet! This one was tough to include all the plans into the word count. I only did a 2 week summary plan with 6 focus activities (3 each week) in more detail to cover all areas of learning and development. More based on what we actually do in our setting and less like the example one the tutor showed us.

Remember the the first one (E8) is only worth 5 marks and that the second one (A) is worth 15 marks (assuming the same as my assignments).

Hi

Sorry our posts crossed! Thanks very much for this advice! My tutor says i have to have 4 weeks worth of planning its a nightmare and im sure my word count will be horrendous. I did howver base it on my tutors example. I was thinking of doing bullett points to cut down on words...having a nightmare with this one!

Good luck with yours!

"

So for your planning did you not do a medium term plan either? I have given up on trying to do a word count for the plans. Think its ridiculous. My tutor said my plans were good for the internal assignment but if i just do 4 weeks worth of those it wil take me well over th word count. She did say that thy didnt expect you to sticjk to word count for internal assignment but hasnt mentioned the CACHE one. She then said I would be marked down for only using 2 weeks of plans. May just send it in and see what she says. If she rfers me for thm being too long then will have to amend them. at this rate Im left with about 100 words for sections A and B! I think this is what I find difficult. getting all the info thy want in thre with only 3500 words all tog!

Edited by marley

When I did my DPP a few years ago, any plans, observations etc. could be put in an Appendix at the end and therefore didn't have to count in the word count. Don't know if this has changed since then. This then leaves plenty of words to answer all the points. It might be worth checking this fact.

Same as alechunter, my plans werent counted in my word count, is that something you could check? I know I struggled with the word count even without that!. I think we could be 10% over the word count and still be ok for CACHE.

I've attached the assignment guidance which I think I found on the Cache website, I still can't link so I hope it's okay to attach. I haven't started this one but we have a fantastic tutor so hopefully I won't get as stressed. It must be really hard doing this on your own, in effect, especially with all the traumas you've experienced recently, I have every admiration for you. Good luck with your assignment and the job interview next week.

Karrie

dpp_l3_ag_2006_10.pdf

So for your planning did you not do a medium term plan either? I have given up on trying to do a word count for the plans. Think its ridiculous. My tutor said my plans were good for the internal assignment but if i just do 4 weeks worth of those it wil take me well over th word count. She did say that thy didnt expect you to sticjk to word count for internal assignment but hasnt mentioned the CACHE one. She then said I would be marked down for only using 2 weeks of plans. May just send it in and see what she says. If she rfers me for thm being too long then will have to amend them. at this rate Im left with about 100 words for sections A and B! I think this is what I find difficult. getting all the info thy want in thre with only 3500 words all tog!

Hello Marley, the curriculum guidance asks for a curriculum plan "that covers 2-4 weeks". No mention of an addtional medium term plan here (unless 2-4 weeks is the medium term plan). My 2 week plan was very basic with days and activities put out (1 sheet for each week) with abbreviations for areas of learning and development (e.g. PSRN, CD). These plans referenced 6 focus activities (one for each area of L & D such as a nature tray to investigate for KUW, leaf printing for CD). On the focus activity sheets I included headings for each such as: Activity, key vocab, children for whom appropriate, main learning intention (EYFS development matters quotes under this one), early learning goals (ELG quotes from EYFS for this one), adapting the activity for individual children, resourses/preparation, evaluation (left blank), next steps (left blank).

These plans covered E4, E5 and E6. I made sure that my focus child was referenced (initials) for each focus activity either in "children for whom appropriate" or in "adapting the activity for individual children". Remember that all quotes aren't included in word count, so if you use development matters statements or early learning goal statements don't count them with your words. Also remember that you can actually use 3,850 words (10% over), although be careful because if you need to resubmit a section you might need that extra 350 words. I was told that plans are counted in word count. For E9 ("understanding of anti-discriminatory practice ....") you may have covered these issues in your other sections and may not have to write anything additional for this one. Remember that most marks come on last 4 sections (A, B , C and D). If you go drastically over word count then the markers might ignore your last sections, which are the ones where you get most points (according to my tutor).

Again I need to reiterate that this is what I did, but that does not necessarily mean it is right as I am still waiting for marks! You may have to rejig some of your previous sections to free up some words. One tip I was told is to read them out loud and you may see where you have repeated yourself or waffled too much! Don't repeat stuff from one section to another just reference it (i.e. "see section E.."). I have found the word count as the toughest part of this course!

Hang on in there, core unit 3 is much more straightforward with only 10 essays to write(!)

Hi all

Yes the planning is included in the word count only a child profile is an appendix. This is what frustrates me about this course. Jenimouse the questions are as you said 2-4 weeks so why does my tutor say have to do 4 or marked down, then she is the one that says child profile as appendix when it does not say it!

Did you do your NEC assignmnet planning like you have done for your CACHE? What did your tutor say?

I think that what you have done is very much like we do in our setting. I based my planning in the assignment on the example she sent me but its just too detailed. If i suddenly changed my format of planning for the CACHE assignmnet do you think it would matter?

Any advice appreciated!

Jenimouse you have been so helpful so far. Think Im getting my head around it all now. Only other bit not sure about child profile appendix. Identify evidence of progress from one childs profile. Cant exactly insert the whole learning journal can I?

I just find the questions so ambiguous! Is it for one area or for all six areas?

I also take it that you use the 6 areas of EYFS and not the 5 they request ie social, physical, intllect, emotional and language. who are you learning with? Distance learning is quite hard as the tutor is not availabe for guidance/feedback. I think this may be why so many give up!

Thank for anymore advice all.

Ps I am using the assignment guidance but im thinking that my support materials (NEC files) do nothing if not confuse me more.

Also did you use themes in your planning? Perhaps this is why my tutor wanted a medium term plan also as she wanted me to use a theme (shock/horror)

10 essays!!!!!!!!

Edited by marley

Hello Marley, I am doing the course through PSLA, day release, one day a week. Best bit of this is meeting the other students for a good all gossip.

"Did you do your NEC assignmnet planning like you have done for your CACHE?" Eh? sorry don't know what you are talking about I'm afraid. Is this something you have in your distance learning? I just produce the 4 assignments, 1 per term. Firstly marked by tutor and then sent off for moderation (or to cache for one of them I believe). I have completed first 3, but so far only had marks back for the first one.

For "identify evidence of progress from one child's profile" I looked at a learning journal and wrote a general summary about the child (only a couple of paragraphs long) and then detailed under the 6 L & D EYFS headings (CLL, PD, CD etc) the development matters statements that I felt the child had shown and could be deduced from the summary. These statements were pure quotes, so no need to count in word count. Other students included some obs in the appendix. I did not have an appendix to this assignment as it did not mention one in the handbook. Different students handled this one in different ways. I think as long as you satisfy the guidance, you should be OK.

"also take it that you use the 6 areas of EYFS and not the 5 they request ie social, physical, intllect, emotional and language" I have a bit of a difficulty whenever I see things like "SPICE" or "PILES" as areas of development as I believe that the EYFS 6 areas cover these already (guidance was written pre EYFS), so I tend to stick with them (i.e. stick with what I know). This may or may not be correct in the marker's view! I shall wait and see.

"Also did you use themes in your planning?" My planning was pretty much real life as to what was happening in my setting at the time. I based some of my focus activities around Autumn as children (inc focus child) were bringing in leaves each day. I mentioned this at top of my plan.

Throughout my assignments I have tried to make it as relevant and real to life as possible. This means that I can make sense of it a lot better and apply the theory to my practice. Although it is interesting looking at other student's and tutor's examples, I tend to go my own way (as long as it satisfies the criteria) as I learn better this way. Whether this means that I will sacrifice marks, I don't know.

Good luck, I think you are getting through it now. it must be very difficult going alone with distance learning and not much support.

Hello Marley, I am doing the course through PSLA, day release, one day a week. Best bit of this is meeting the other students for a good all gossip.

"Did you do your NEC assignmnet planning like you have done for your CACHE?" Eh? sorry don't know what you are talking about I'm afraid. Is this something you have in your distance learning? I just produce the 4 assignments, 1 per term. Firstly marked by tutor and then sent off for moderation (or to cache for one of them I believe). I have completed first 3, but so far only had marks back for the first one.

For "identify evidence of progress from one child's profile" I looked at a learning journal and wrote a general summary about the child (only a couple of paragraphs long) and then detailed under the 6 L & D EYFS headings (CLL, PD, CD etc) the development matters statements that I felt the child had shown and could be deduced from the summary. These statements were pure quotes, so no need to count in word count. Other students included some obs in the appendix. I did not have an appendix to this assignment as it did not mention one in the handbook. Different students handled this one in different ways. I think as long as you satisfy the guidance, you should be OK.

"also take it that you use the 6 areas of EYFS and not the 5 they request ie social, physical, intllect, emotional and language" I have a bit of a difficulty whenever I see things like "SPICE" or "PILES" as areas of development as I believe that the EYFS 6 areas cover these already (guidance was written pre EYFS), so I tend to stick with them (i.e. stick with what I know). This may or may not be correct in the marker's view! I shall wait and see.

"Also did you use themes in your planning?" My planning was pretty much real life as to what was happening in my setting at the time. I based some of my focus activities around Autumn as children (inc focus child) were bringing in leaves each day. I mentioned this at top of my plan.

Throughout my assignments I have tried to make it as relevant and real to life as possible. This means that I can make sense of it a lot better and apply the theory to my practice. Although it is interesting looking at other student's and tutor's examples, I tend to go my own way (as long as it satisfies the criteria) as I learn better this way. Whether this means that I will sacrifice marks, I don't know.

Good luck, I think you are getting through it now. it must be very difficult going alone with distance learning and not much support.

Hi

Yes distance learning through NEC is a challenge. Theres no one to bounce ideas off! You have to do alot of reading but the course materials supplied are out of date as talk about birth to 3 and FS. For each unit there are a couple of internal tutor marked assignments that you get a bit of feedback on from the tutor as if you are on the right lines etc. Then you do the CACHE assignmnet which they mark (aprat from one which goes straigh to CACHE). This hasnt really been a problem until the planning one. Tutor is still old school I think and sent example of planning through which I sort of followed for my internal assignment. I have since cut it down and taken your advice and quoted lots from the EYFS practice guidance. Hey she can only send it back refer and i get another chance to do it. Have spent too long on this already. I do have a "buddy" who is a member of this forum and has done the course and has work experience too. She has been really helpful in looking at some of my work and making suggestions (plus trying to decipher what my tutor sends me!)

Thanks for the advice about the profile. Thats what i was going to do. Its confusing as in NEC course materials they talk about individual profile (to anyone ele they ar individual learning plans) so was wondering what they really wanted. Like you I have done all EYFS areas when they mention SPIEL. Mind you they do all interlink dont they.

When did you start the course? I started Dec 08. I have been quite good at doing it and do at least 6 hours per week (if not more at the mo!). Did the obs assignment and got a provisional C grade so pleased with that.

Let me know how you get on.

Edited by marley

Done it...just need to lose 172 word to get down to 3850 :oxD:( Its ridicuous. Im cutting out non essential words!!!

Have done 4 weeks of planning as tutor requested but CACHE wants 2-4 weeks...what do you think about cutting a week? Hasnt got any of my focused activities on it anyway.....

Edited by marley

Well done! last few words to 'lose'. I guess 3 weeks worth of planning would be a compromise. Just be careful with using the 10% extra on word count, if you need to resubmit any parts, you may not have any more words to play with. Remember that headings, bibliography and references are not included in word count. Careful phrasing of sentences, avoiding any repetition, missing out the odd superfluous word here and there will probably get rid of those last few. I know exactly how you feel re the word count. My first attempt at unit one had over 7,000 words! Now I am much more aware of the word count as I write each section (but still struggle). My tutor suggests allocating a word count to each section in proportion to the marking scheme. For example in the unit I am currently working on (and probably the first 2 also) E1 - E8 should only have about 125 words in each. D and C should have 500 and B and A 750 words. Trying to get 5 marks out of only 125 words is a challenge to say the least. This is my last unit due to be submitted at May half term. I tend to work in fits and starts due to pressures of work and family and have had to miss a number of 'college' days due to covering staff absences. I think you must be very well organised to dedicate 6 hours most weeks.

Well done! last few words to 'lose'. I guess 3 weeks worth of planning would be a compromise. Just be careful with using the 10% extra on word count, if you need to resubmit any parts, you may not have any more words to play with. Remember that headings, bibliography and references are not included in word count. Careful phrasing of sentences, avoiding any repetition, missing out the odd superfluous word here and there will probably get rid of those last few. I know exactly how you feel re the word count. My first attempt at unit one had over 7,000 words! Now I am much more aware of the word count as I write each section (but still struggle). My tutor suggests allocating a word count to each section in proportion to the marking scheme. For example in the unit I am currently working on (and probably the first 2 also) E1 - E8 should only have about 125 words in each. D and C should have 500 and B and A 750 words. Trying to get 5 marks out of only 125 words is a challenge to say the least. This is my last unit due to be submitted at May half term. I tend to work in fits and starts due to pressures of work and family and have had to miss a number of 'college' days due to covering staff absences. I think you must be very well organised to dedicate 6 hours most weeks.

Hi

Good advice about assigning a word count to each bit...will look at that next time!!! Ive done it. Got to read through it. To be honest so long as I pass i wont be re-submitting...been a nightmare this one! I have not included refs, headings etc in my word count. Just wanted to get it done by the end of this week. Very busy next week getting sorted for my hols and also got an interview for another pre-school job on fri. Then its hols for 2 whole weeks and then Ill come back and sort it ie get ready to send off. Next deadline is may isnt it?

Have you done core unit 3 (the CACHE only marked one?). Im not sure which one to do next as i put it down to send the CACHE unit in Jan 2010!!!??. Is it a long unit? Could it be done for me to go for the deadline Sept for CACHE do you think? Or should i do the option 1 ( I chose the working with committees option). I was looking at all the dates today and it seems that even tho you send in your assignmnets its months until you actually know that you have passed! I presume you cant say you have qualified until you get your certificate from CACHE?

Keep in touch Jenimouse!

Hello Marley,

Glad to hear that you have finished your assignment and have pruned it to fit. I have just received my grade for that assignment back ( B ). My first thought was "woooo!", my second thought was "wonder why I didn't get an A", and my third was "tell Marley"!

"Have you done core unit 3 (the CACHE only marked one?)"

Yes, finished this one in Feb. I found this one more straightforward, a lot more factual. It has 10 sections, each one worth the same amount of points, but you do have to get a lot of points to pass. You don't get a grade I believe, just pass or fail. I found the word count on this one much more manageable. There is no curriculum guidance available for this one, but the Penny Tassoni text book (Diploma in Pre-school Practice) helped a lot. If you are after a unit to be completed in a shorter time period, then I would suggest this one may be more suitable.

The option units appear to be a bit more in depth. Reading your other posts re: committee and financial problems, you may want to make your decision over which option to do a little later when things may be more on an even keel.

"I was looking at all the dates today and it seems that even tho you send in your assignmnets its months until you actually know that you have passed!"

Yes this does seem to be the way. My second unit was sent early Nov and only just received my grades back. Then it takes another couple of months to get the actual assignment back to see where you did or didn't get the marks.

Good luck for your interview and enjoy your hols.

Congratulations jenimouse!! :oxD Really pleased for you....so if the CACHE one can be done in a shorter time may see if I can change my deadline to Sept this year for that instead of Jan 2010 :(

I have got Penny's book on loan from the library and I have also found it very good so far.

Is that it for you? Have you finished it all?

• 1 month later...

Hellooo!

Well just got back my assignmnet and awarded a B grade so very pleased. Thanks to everyone for the advice on here. Started the next section the CACHE marked only one...just thinking does this mean I am half way through then???!!! :oxD

Hello Marley, well done! Worth all that hard work after all! Yes you are half way through, although in reality it will feel like you are further through, as the next unit is more straightforward and the last unit you can choose which option is best suited to you. I am now just 3 weeks away from submitting my last unit and it has taken me this long to get the hang of the style of answering and word counts. Roll on level 4!!

(Regards your other post about your day, do not feel alone, I do know exactly how you feel having experienced more than my fair share of this, although no committee to blame it on!)

Hello Marley, well done! Worth all that hard work after all! Yes you are half way through, although in reality it will feel like you are further through, as the next unit is more straightforward and the last unit you can choose which option is best suited to you. I am now just 3 weeks away from submitting my last unit and it has taken me this long to get the hang of the style of answering and word counts. Roll on level 4!!

(Regards your other post about your day, do not feel alone, I do know exactly how you feel having experienced more than my fair share of this, although no committee to blame it on!)

Hi

You are right about the just getting the hang of it about word counts and style! I am hoping the next section is easier!

Keep in touch and let me know how you get on!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)