Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Changing Interests!

Having spent the last part of last week and the weekend planning for 'super heroes' topic as this was where children's interests lay...all was going really well and chn were getting alot out of it when one boy got the traffic cones (that had been the 'baddie jail') and arranged them in a line and announced he was digging up the road 'cos there was a broken pipe!! He asked for the builder's hats. put on a yellow jacket and started to 'dig' up the road-it wasn't long before he had about 10 other chn joining in-clip boards/measuring tapes/wooden bricks to build with etc. So now.. Super heroes are OUT and builders are IN !!! Do they not know how long it takes to plan these things !!! Oh well -they had a good time -planning taken a different direction once more !!

Any ideas for builders/road workers as I am still in Super Hero mode !!!

Thanks

Do they not know how long it takes to plan these things !!! Oh well -they had a good time -planning taken a different direction once more !!

Oh no! mine went out of the window today too as we found some copulating frogs in the shed! So it's all about frogs now. sigh

Maybe theres a case for retrospective planning!!!!!! :o

I think Peggy used to do just this - will await her words of wisdom on the subject!

Maz

Oh and the other thing I wanted to say - how fantastic that these children feel relaxed and 'in charge' enough in your groups to totally turn everything upside down and do something completely different. They must feel very empowered that when they have something important to say, the adults around them listen to what they need and do their best to help turn their ideas and plans into reality.

Guest Wolfie
Oh no! mine went out of the window today too as we found some copulating frogs in the shed! So it's all about frogs now. sigh

At least it's not all about copulating! :o

I think Peggy used to do just this - will await her words of wisdom on the subject!

Maz

Oh and the other thing I wanted to say - how fantastic that these children feel relaxed and 'in charge' enough in your groups to totally turn everything upside down and do something completely different. They must feel very empowered that when they have something important to say, the adults around them listen to what they need and do their best to help turn their ideas and plans into reality.

Totally agree Maz, the learning through experiences becomes so much more relevant and inspiring when child initiated. I'm guessing, although may not be the case that this lad has recent experience of road works and thus he has led this play to 'further understand' his experience.

I did do retrospective planning,(would still do it now but don't work in preschool now).

I've attached an example of what it may have looked like in the case of changing from super hero to road works play. The form I've attached is set up for pre EYFS (2006) but the 'method' would be the same now.

In red is my (made up) super hero plans, in black is the retrospective planning as it occurs. This example assumes it occured on a Wednesday. What this shows is that a planning sheet may have written plans which are crossed off and changed as the week progresses. Also I have written hints of what would be written in the columns (if that makes sense). The child initiated column is blank at the beginning of the week, and filled in 'retrospectively' ie: as it happens, reading this column will 'inform' the adult plans (in red ) for the next week. As heidiho has shared, planning can change mid week, and like her we should have the courage to change our plans to fit the children.

Just another thought, this type of planning involves all staff, so no one sitting at home on their own trying to 'devise' the next weeks plans :o I had the sheet available for all staff to place their comments/notes. Or you could give each member of staff their own sheet and collate at end of week planning meetings, as you can imagine there may be more than one focus interest going on at the same time. This can also be done with larger A3 size formats on the wall for all to contribute to. How it's managed is different within each individual setting.

Peggy

p.s. The layout of the planning sheet I originally got from the forum, and adapted, sorry can't remember who uploaded it but credit to them for the layout.

PLANNING_SHEET_WEEKS_FOCUS_AUT_2006_example.doc

No - but loads of stories to tell their Mummies about these lazy Daddy frogs who expect the poor Mummy frog to carry them about everywhere!

:(:(

reminds me of the copulating ladybirds our preschool children were fascinated by.

and guess what, I've got a photo. (now there's a surprise, not :wacko: )

I recall they were 'at it' for ages and ages. :o (like over an hour xD:( )

Peggy

post-3604-1237485334_thumb.png

post-3604-1237485381_thumb.png

Well I brought the frogs home - now 3 as we found another! I put them in my pond and they all got out and walked off! Well the mummy frog obviously did most of the work!

How ungrateful!

We use basic provision plan to mark where children 'take the planning'. Had to laugh this week when my manager, having spent 20 mins setting up a role play hospital with beds, wating room and reception area etc, was asked by a three year old - "do you like my ambulance?" as he pretended to 'drive' her carefully laid out waiting room round the imaginary hospital. Somewhat crestfallen manager!

he he he

pw xxx

A big thanks to Peggy for the example of how to record plans ! We sat on carpet at 9 this morning to start the day and much to my amusement the boy in question already had a pencil behind his ear and was holding a notebook-he wanted to know when the were going outside to get on with the building work-we had a 'brainstorming' session and the children came up with great ideas-they needed somewhere to have their 'bait' (a North Eastern term for snack), they wanted bait boxes and flasks, the big digger to sit on for the sandpit ,metal tape measures, a wheel barrow...and it went on and on... my phonics session was postponed and instead I modeled how to write a list ,with them helping to spell the words- by 9.30 we were once again outside working. A few children still played in the super heroes headquarters(a big painted cardboard box) and made badges so the Super hero idea wasn't totally a waste of time !!

Makes you smile!

Reminds me of the time when superheros were big in our setting.A child had painted a picture of a wall.I was suprised and delighted we were finally moving on! I told him its was a fantastic paitnting of a wall to which he repied it was a painting of superman "Superman?" says I, "yeah, he's hiding behind the wall waiting to catch the badies" :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)