Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Christmas Party

Can anyone help with advice about their christmas parties, I am looking for suggestions as to organising our pre-school party we have 35 children and only registered to take 28 per day.

I cant decide wether to have two parties, two father christmas visits? or hire a hall for two hours?

any suggestions?

last year we didnt have this problem as we had less children on our books

I am in a similar situation. That is we are only registered for 26 children per session. But my understanding is that you can have a set number of special days per year. For parties and fundraising events.

The best bit about a party is that they are all together. It is chaotic but fun.

As long as you have enough staff or helpers it is OK

we have the same problem! Only 14 children per session but more than double that on the register.

Our pre-school simply doesnt have the space to have all the children together so we hire a hall each year - chaotic, noisy but great fun for children and staff and of cours Father Christmas! It's a great opportunity for all the children to be together

well i just rang Ofsted on this and wait for it ....... by having 35 children on nativity play day and 35 on christmas party day i am in breach of my registration and they can't agree to it BUT they advised that a recent tribunal case deemed these events to be a reasonable excuse to breach the registration. My insurance company would like that in writing from Ofsted and guess what .... they ain't going to give it!!!!! They will however note their records that I'm having these events.

The insurance co. are now closed so i can't check that Ofsted just noting their records with this information is sufficient to be covered- but i'll let you know tomorrow.

But just thinking about it another way, as long as I have the parents of those children who would not normally be in on those days to help, then they are technically responsible for their children and I wouldn't have breached anything! Perhaps that's the answer!

What do others think ???????

Janice :o

never really thought about it, so far not happened but it may.. However we do not hold the party during NEG funded time, we end term before the planned party,and hire the hall, - be it the same hall we hold the pre-school in as a separate one off day or two if we include the play/show. We checked and the insurance policy covering the hall covers us for this one off hiring. Parents are present with their children the whole time during the show, and we always ensure that plenty of adults are present at the party, (we need lots of help as we only have 4 members of staff.)

We also find that not all children on the books attend, never worked out why, but some attend 2 settings and they clash or parents are away or...........

Well, goodness me!! :o

YEARS we just upped and had parties, plays and fun days and never even thought about all this! I don't work in the pre-school playgroup anymore, it's all someone else's headache where I am now, but I really feel for you. Takes all the fun out of it, doesn't it!

One piece of advice I will offer, though, is plan it like a military operation, make sure EVERYONE is clear about their role and/or responsibilities, toilet arrangements, arriving and departing arrangements, Santa's cue, payment for the entertainer (if you have one) - YOU will then be able to relax and enjoy it, too (as if!! xD )

Enjoy!! :(

Sue :D

Pauline on the very occasional basis I am sure it doesn't matter. If you are registered for 28 but have 35 on your books I certainly wouldn't think about having 2 separate parties. You would then have the dilemna of how to split the group. Just make sure you have enough staff/parent helpers to follow ratios. Parents love to help at parties. As everyone says have a timetable and make sure everyone is aware of it. I normally alternate a sitting down activity with a physical one.

To Pauline .... well thanks for bringing this to my attention!

Have sorted it all out now with Ofsted and Insurers (Morton Michel) and here's what they say............

Ofsted have noted our records with the dates of our activities - we are registered for 26 and will have about 33 at both the Nativity Play and the Christmas Party. They are ok with that but are sending me a letter of points they wish me to consider before each of the events

1 - ratios

2 - space

3 - Any specific safety procedures reqd

There may be more points but it's along those lines.

The insurers are now ok with that because Ofsted are ok with it but I need to confirm it in writing.

What a palaver !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck with yours!

janice :oxD

A valuable piece of advice from a recent "Health and Safety" course for child care professionals was

RECTUM PROTECTUM :(:(:(:oxD

(Cover YOUR a**)

It is printed out and stuck on my locker door!!!!

Jan

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)