Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Learning Journeys - Help!

From reading various topics on this forum - really useful by the way - I have read that many of you are completing learning journeys for your children - presumably a method of recording their progress towards the Early Learning Goals. Help! I've never come across these, is it something you have made up yourselves or is it a standard thing?

At our setting we have our own All About Me books where we put photos and comments about what the children have been doing, but are still officially using the old Nursery Profile record booklets (without colouring the sections) - just writing comments or summarising that the child is working at the level expected for his age. Not at all parent friendly so we are thinking about developing something else. Would the learning journeys be what we are looking for?

Thanks for any help you can give!

if you do a search on them you will find many examples - we have found they work really well us and now the parents are used to them the communication about ther childs learning has really helped all involved - good luck :o

Hi Calicojo

Our 'Learning Journeys':

Entry Record - completed by parent before child starts pre-school.

Annotated photographs

Individual Learning Plans - with sections for parents comments - updated termly (old term)

Summative Assessments - updated termly (new term)

Other comments from staff and parents

Next Steps - identified and recorded by staff - as we 'go along'

Learning Journeys are displayed on a regular basis at pre-school and sent home at regular intervals - i.e. start of each term.

We have found that this 'works for us' - I'm sure other providers will have different and equally effective ways of 'doing' theirs - will watch with interest - I'm always open to new ideas!

Hope this of use.

Sunnyday

Thank you both. I think what we are doing is a sort of version of a learning journey - feel more reassured now- but when on earth do you find the time to do it all?

Having a staff meeting tonight so will discuss the need for lots more info to be put in the children's folders.

they do take time - especially when you loose them on your laptop - spend 2 hours searvhing - re do them and find that you already printed them off!!!!! xD:o:( ( i seriously need help!) :(

Hi would you like to take a look at the learning journeys i developed for the staff at the setting? Will attach when i get the computer working.

Kat

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)