Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Employment Policy

Hi, I just wondered if anyone has a policy in place about the amount of time off an employee takes every year, we have a member of staff who reg takes off 3 days a month, phones in sick every month, other staff are getting quite fed up, i wondered if it was possible to have a policy that says 3% over the year etc... or is this wishful thinking!!!!

sorry we dont but it definitly needs looking into. Have you had some 1:1s with her to try to find the source of her problems - it could be difficulties at home/childcare a number of things that with help could be resolved. What is like when she is in work/ - sorry not much help :o

it is possible to have a set number of days off for other professions so cannot see any reason why not... Husband can have 8 days off a year and then if longer or frequent should be called to HR or OT. This is luckily at discretion of employer and reason at the time... it does tend to prevent the regular odd days off, and they are aware that longer term sudden illness is different.

Inge

Not sure what type of setting you are in, but if you fall under local authority then maybe there is something for all council employees. When I worked in a school it was 15 days off sick in a year and you were referred to occupational health. if you had more than 5 days a year carers allowance these then had to be unpaid. Dont know if you could do something similar. Does your staff member get paid if they dont come in or is it a different type of problem. Maybe stopping pay would solve it after say 10/15 days a year as SSP pay only kicks in if its continous time off not for a day here or there. HTH Zoe.

Have you thought of return to work interviews? I don't have this problem at the moment but I'm updating my policies in April and will adding that in. They are intended to be offered as a supportive action.

My hubby works for a large corporate organisation and he always says that he hates having time off (he really does have to be dying to take time off) 'cos he hates having to explain his absence to his line manager and feels like he's been a naughty boy. :o I think it's really easy to phone in 'sick' but to have to face your manager (especially if you work closely together) might be a different ball game. xD

RR

Edited by Guest

Thanks for all your responses........ we are a sessional pre-school, the member of staff in question has been with me for a year and phones in 2/3 days every month to say she is not in....different reason every time.........

may try the interview, could be a good deterent...

Thanks