Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning A Trip To The Zoo

Hi all, I wondered if anyone could share their experiences about off site trips?

We are planning a whole setting trip to the zoo in June.

There will be roughly 60 children and we want a ratio of 2 children to 1 adult.

We have 2 particularly challenging children though, would we be out of order to say the parent has to come with them? I don't want to discriminate but I really think it would be impossible to take the children without the parent.

we are planning on having maybe 5 or 6 groups with 2 members of staff in each group. How do we go about keeping the children "safe" though? do all helpers have to be crb checked? with 2 staff members in each group we were thinking that if any children needed the toilet etc then 1 staff member could take them while their children are looked after in the group - would this squash the need for all the crb's as the child will never be left alone with an adult?

I'm sure there's more questions but I have forgotten them :o

Mostly our parents come with us when we have trips, so children are toileted by their own parent. Naturally there are a handful of children whose parents can't come, and we 1:2 them with a member of staff

Most of our parents come, otherwise it is 2:1 ratio but always extra staff anyway, like me who doesn't have any key children. We usually get donations which allow such trips to take place several times a year, we ask for a deposit of £3 per family regardless of how many family members there are, this also helps them to actually turn up on the day as they have paid something for it. I would definetly try and get most of your parents to come or you might not be able to take their child depending on your ratio's which you must be able to maintain.

well at the mo9ment I have worked out it will cost £7.50 per child and per adult, this is the cost of entrance to the zoo and 2 coaches - if all 60 children come and 31 adults. That total is after we have already paid £100 towards it as well......

The problem is, if all the parents want to come we will then need another coach so the price will go up even more :o similarly if lots don't want their child to go the price will go up unless we manage to get down to 1 coach I guess xD

Hmm, we usually pay for transport and parents pay their own and child entrance fees. We have a big fundraiser in the term before towards the cost of the bus

Hmm, we usually pay for transport and parents pay their own and child entrance fees. We have a big fundraiser in the term before towards the cost of the bus

we were thinking of doing a quickie sponsored thing before to reduce the cost more.

The thing is, we have very little funds and the coaches alone are costing £300 - which we couldn't afford to pay unfortunately :o

Hmm, why don't you opt for a cheaper option - or be very upfront with the parents about the cost - get them to pay a deposit now and some each week - you'll be assured of numbers and be able to budget for the shortfall. Can you tap into any grants - or ask local businesses for some support? Our Parish Council and Neighbourhood Forum sometimes give donations if we ask very nicely!

Guest heleng

CRB's- as long as the children are always with at least one adult who has been CRB'ed i.e. staff members, then it is OK for the other helpers to have not been CRB'ed. If we go off in groups on any of our visits there are always two satff members with each group so one can toilet and the other supervise the rest of the group although they have other adults to help them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)