Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Where Can I Get Plaster Of Paris?

Guest kelh81

Guest kelh81

I'm doing a dinosaurs topic and saw an idea on here about making fossils using Plaster of Paris- anybody got any ideas where I might get hold of some?!

Can't help with getting it, but please be VERY careful using it!!

I can't remember where I saw it, but it's a dire thing to use!! Try searching on Google - there have been some nasty burns - and I mean NASTY!!

Sue

I'm doing a dinosaurs topic and saw an idea on here about making fossils using Plaster of Paris- anybody got any ideas where I might get hold of some?!

I found mine in a cupboard in school and we have just finished making th emost wonderful dino landscape - but I did look in Hope Catalogue and they have something called mod rock I think which looked similar - failing that try your local hospital plaster unit

good luck

we used done bones (the ones dogs eat) for our fossils come in different sizes - cheap and great to hid in sand, compost etc.. very small ones extracted using tweezers excellent fine motor

g

Can't help with getting it, but please be VERY careful using it!!

I can't remember where I saw it, but it's a dire thing to use!! Try searching on Google - there have been some nasty burns - and I mean NASTY!!

Sue

sorry Sue I'm confused how burns?

g

Well, try googling plaster of paris - the one that springs to mind is a young lady who lost several fingers using plaster of paris on an art project.... Believe it's the chemical reaction?

Well, try googling plaster of paris - the one that springs to mind is a young lady who lost several fingers using plaster of paris on an art project.... Believe it's the chemical reaction?

Help - I'm so glad I didn't know that before our children used it for the whole week - glad to say no injuries - if it burns so badly why use it on broken limbs - as you sure you are thinking of impregnated bandages?

g

I've been using scola powder for absolutely years! It does get hot when you are doing big things, but as you sink the mould in a tank of water up to the lip anyway, to help with setting, the children don't feel the heat. It's just part of the chemical reaction.

Guest kelh81

Thank you everyone for replying- I too had no idea about the dangers of Plaster of Paris- I think I'll try Mod Roc instead! If anyone comes up with any other ideas then please let me know preferably cheap and simple! :o

K x

We had a massive bucket of dental plaster when we made our fossils... was really hard to get the playdough and plaster apart though... doing dinosurs again for next term do will watch eagerly.

The main danger with plaster of paris is that the dust is not good to breathe in. You can still use it but don't make a big cloud of dust, especially around someone who is asthmatic. If you mix a cupful it really doesn't get that warm. We use it to stand wire plants up in - just make your plant, hold it upright in a disposable plastic cup and pour in the mixture. When it is set you can peel away the cup and paint the plaster. Its a great way to make plants for a play garden centre. You can make the flower heads with binca and felt threaded onto the wire.

There has been lots of different things mentioned here but Plaster of Paris is banned in all primary schools in our authority and there is a big notice up on our staff room board. If a child puts there hand into the plaster as it is setting - feels nice - starts to set can't get their hand out and it causes very nasty burns. Mod roc on the other hand is a totally different product.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)