Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

My Unique Story

has anyone started there 'my unique story' forms yet?

just wondering if you've been sucessful in gettin much co-opersation from the parents?

We liked the Southampton one and have adopted most of it for our own. All the Parents happily completed their section of it - about 8 pages - and are much more interested in the story than they used to be before we used this system

I went on course in december for this. have not started it yet. As far as I can tell we are doing this through learning journal and home/nursery books. My friend has been doing it in her nursery(we are both maintained) where she said she had a good return. Unfortunately the parents had filled in every section! We will probably strt it in September as I am due to go on another course for Foundation leaders and reception teachers about it as the form that is passed on to year r is like a graph. How much will that tell them? Not sure.

8 pages cait! Ours is an a3 folded in half. Front is for name and picture, middle has sections for parents to fill in plus a box for each area which we are supposed to fill in once a term to show progress. This belongs to the parents and is not passed to year r. we have to ask permission from the parents to photocopy it just in case it gets misplaced at home.

the one we are using is an a3 piece of paper folded in half, the front page being a picture of the child. the actual document contains information from the key person and the parent about things the child likes/does not like at home or at preschool, its all written through the childs eyes. got to be done 3 times a year, replaces the record of transfer and belongs to the parent, we have to have permission to keep it in the setting.

8 pages cait! Ours is an a3 folded in half. Front is for name and picture, middle has sections for parents to fill in plus a box for each area which we are supposed to fill in once a term to show progress. This belongs to the parents and is not passed to year r. we have to ask permission from the parents to photocopy it just in case it gets misplaced at home.

the same as mine ...must be in the same area?!

Well it's only 8 pages because we've left loads of room for them to write.

mine came through pre arranged, as they are showing in the training. we are just using them as they are, although today when i started to look at the properly i did feel that i was quickly running out of room for all the things i wanted to say!

Well the one I was sent by the LA was 'pants' to say the least. Looked like someone had tried to use every border available in Microsoft publisher! It looked ridiculously unprofessional and not at all the kind of image we want to project. So when an advisor visited we asked if it was the one we HAD to use and were told that as long as it was to at least that standard (not hard) and contained the same general info we'd be fine.

oh! our eyat delivered the trainin and i just assumed that was how it was to be used - that was wrong of me to do i guess!!! too late to change it now though as our parent consultations start this thursday

it seems pretty simple to use, not much required from the parents, so shouldnt be too much of a struggle as i find it hard to get my parents involved in the preschool ...dont suppose you have any suggestions on that?!

It's very variable across the years - there's always a couple of 'hard to reach' ones, but out of 30 sets this year we only have one who seems to think she's 'above all that!' (Dahling, do what you think best!)

I think, overall, parents like to feel that their views are important, and if we approach initiatives in this vein we get a better response.

We have home diaries and try to use them as much as we can, we have social evenings with parents and things like that.

But like I say, its variable - next year they may be different again!

i am im southampton and use the unique child book - have had lots of positive response from parents and it does give you a lovely insight not to just the child but also their family.

we started to use these in september after training in last school year.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)