Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Training

Hi all

I was hoping for advice!!

I am a manager of a day nursery, and really want to do a course, but something that will help me further with working to better future (more money!! :oxD )

I want a qualification that will give me greatly chances of jobs. Although i do not want to change job at moment and am happy with wage etc. i want to do a course now.

I have Diploma in childcare and NVQ level 3 in management, so whats next which level 4 or EYP.

I think my choices are level 4 in childcare

level 4 in management

or something like EYP

Am i right or completely off track, anyone done these, any advice would be great! how long do they take, what is envloved with them, and what can they lead onto?

thanks all

ice

I am currently doing the NVQ4 CCLD, as I thought i would learn something new. I would not recommend it at all. It is just like a validation course for what you already know. Haven't learnt anytyhing yet, and is in NVQ speak which i find hard to get my head round, did NNEB in 1988. I wish I had waited a bit and done EYP, which I am planning to do from September. Hope that helps a little

You could then go on and do your BA Honours and your EYPS....... from this you could also so some sort of teachers qualification, it all depends what you want to do in the future....

Hi

I don't think you are completely off track but perhaps more a case of there being so many different courses at different levels you are almost spoilt for choice.

I guess EYP is way to go if you want to 'lead' in Early Years. I choose the word carefully as you don't need EYP to 'manage' a setting if that makes sense!

If you have level 3 childcare and level 4 management I guess maybe 'upping' the childcare aspect is an option.

The OU do a level 4 Certificate in EY Practice and it is recognised on the latest CWDC as being a valid qualification.

The only 'trouble' with that is that you might get the 'study bug' it can be addictive :o

If EYP is your aim then you need a degree so maybe an EY degree is an option. It may sound daunting but it really isn't!! I can remember being at my setting when I had just started my study for the Foundation Degree and we had a visitor - the discussion got onto training and she said she had just started her BA in Early Years- I remember vividly being so in awe of her and thinking I could never in a million years achieve a BA. I just did it bit by bit via the OU and achieved my BA in December 08 - I am rapidly heading towards retirement so if I can do it believe me anyone can!

Good luck with the decision making and of course with the study when you get started xD

Guest Wolfie
I am currently doing the NVQ4 CCLD, as I thought i would learn something new. I would not recommend it at all. It is just like a validation course for what you already know. Haven't learnt anytyhing yet, and is in NVQ speak which i find hard to get my head round, did NNEB in 1988. I wish I had waited a bit and done EYP, which I am planning to do from September. Hope that helps a little

I worked with three people who did this qualification and they said exactly the same as you...a complete waste of time, just a paper exercise! They all wish that they had done the Foundation Degree instead.

I have Diploma in childcare and NVQ level 3 in management, so whats next which level 4 or EYP.

As a new EYP I guess I'm somewhat biased, but I would suggest Foundation Degree and onto BA (if you don't already have a degree that is!). And then EYPS, if you want to lead practice in the EYFS. As Geraldine quite rightly said, you don't need EYPS to manage an early years setting - if you want to do more management training, then there is a Level 5 management qualification which our local authority is recommending for those who manage, especially those who manage an EYP!

I have heard that criticism of the NVQ4 but also I have heard that doing the NVQ4 before going onto the Foundation Degree can help raise confidence.

All in all I think the best place to start is by deciding what you want to do - but as Geraldine says the study bug is a nasty thing to have because once you start you just can't stop! :o

Maz

Well in the future i see myself heading towards wanting to work for local authority, council, i m very career minded if that helps.

how does eyp help, what is it exactly?

thanks

ice

I also am currently doing the CCLD nvq level 4 although for me, unlike everyone else, it's helping alot! i did my BTEC national diploma (level 3) 3 years ago, i did the 3 straight from doing gcses and for me doing my level 4 now is the next logical step, and this time next year i'll be doing the foundation degree as i've been told thats best to do after! ...wether thats right or not i dont know though?!

first question to ask is do you have a degree.. you currently need one to do eyp

Inge

Hi Inge

No i dont have a degree

thanks

Hi

I'm currently doing NVQ 4 and am really enjoying it. I qualified with NNEB in 1991 and felt this was the best option for me to get back into studying.

I do sometimes struggle with the nvq format but on the whole it is fine.

My intention once finished is to take the A1 Assesors award, then foundation degree, then EYPS. I have been looking at the level 5 leadership and management qualfication too but am unsure of where this may fit in!

Well in the future i see myself heading towards wanting to work for local authority, council, i m very career minded if that helps.

how does eyp help, what is it exactly?

EYP is Early Years Practitioner Status which is a level 6 qualification. The Government aim to have an EYP in all children's centres by 2010 and in every full daycare setting by 2015. Maz is in a far better position to explain the nitty gritty of what is involved in achieving it :o

I am not sure what capacity you have in mind when you say working for local authority - are you hoping to still stay 'within early years' or are you looking at a broader remit in terms of employment.

I don't want to appear like some OU advocate but there are a range of courses available. Brick unis seem to talk in terms of modules and in OU speak it's 'courses' but you can kind of pick qualifications up along the way!

The level 4 I mentioned is awarded after completion of courses that also count towards the foundation degree.

From the foundation degree you can go on to BA or BA(Hons). There is also the opportunity to 'up' your foundation degree to a BA(HOns) in Childhood and Youth studies. I wonder if something 'wider' than early years may be of relevance???

My personal guess is that there will (if not already) be a place for EYP's at local authority level. In the same way as we have Early Years Advisors now I think in years to come those with EYP will have an advantage. I cannot see how all settings (especially small preschools) can afford to employ an EYP and I think the solution will be to have a local EYP who has responsibility for more than one setting but of course i could be dreaming

If you want to pursue a management career I can recommend the Foundation Degree in Management of a childcare provision which you can then top to to a BA (Hons) in Nursery Management. The course is all done on line in groups and with the support of fantastic tutors. Check out the Liverpool Hope Uni website

I think there is certainly a place in LAs for EYPs although the push is currently for them in settings. In my LA there are a number of Early Years advisors gaining EYPS which I think is to counter the fact that they are otherwise going out "advising" where the setting already employs someone with greater experience and qualifications than the advisor!

Hi Ice

I have gone the opposite way having recently worked for a Local Authority, I now work in a Children's Centre. I would agree with others that the best route for you would be the Foundation Degree with top up and then EYPS. I am currently on the short pathway for EYPs and it has been brilliant for meeting other practitoners and hearing and sharing stories and information.

If you are keen to work in the Local Authority then good luck, however if you prefer to working with children rather than carrying out building audits (as has happened in our authority), then good luck!

Whilst working in the PVI sector, you are entitled for funding from the Graduate Leader Fund, which is co-ordinated by the Local Authorities, each one has their own schemes in place, our authority funds the course cost, supply costs and travel cost for foundation degrees, this can be up to as much as £12000 over three years. Working for a local authority will cost you from your own pocket, in my case I had to fork out £3000 on a student loan before I even got onto EYPS (which is funded by the CWDC) as the GLF criteria tells us that funding is not available to Local Authority staff.

:o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)