Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Committee Or Trustees?

Hi

We are a small rural playgroup which is presently supposedly ran by a committee. Due to lack of interest from committee members it has been suggested to me to look towards having Trustees.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

Does it work or just cause more headaches?

Where can I find more information.

Does it affect your charity status.

All help gratefully received.

Chocoholic

I dont know how it would affect your charity status

we are a church playgroup so come under the umbrella of the church rather than charity the churcth are the trustees then the staff are a managment commitee.

I must say from the nightmares that I have read about commitees we seem to be working fine but I would advise you to find out all the facts Im just running things how they where handed to me so Im not quite sure what the rules and regulations are to setting it up ie changing from commitee to trustees

its worth looking into

I dont know how it would affect your charity status

we are a church playgroup so come under the umbrella of the church rather than charity the churcth are the trustees then the staff are a managment commitee.

I must say from the nightmares that I have read about commitees we seem to be working fine but I would advise you to find out all the facts Im just running things how they where handed to me so Im not quite sure what the rules and regulations are to setting it up ie changing from commitee to trustees

its worth looking into

Thanks , its knowing where to start is the problem but I certainly will be doing some investigating

Any organisation with Charitable status has to have a management committee of some sort and these are the Trustees. Responsibilities will be set out in the Governing document.

This might be useful to read.

https://www.charitycommission.gov.uk/publications/cc3.asp

I have been involved in various Charities as a Trustee, and they are not without problems, which are similar to those I read about on here regarding committees.

Any organisation with Charitable status has to have a management committee of some sort and these are the Trustees. Responsibilities will be set out in the Governing document.

This might be useful to read.

https://www.charitycommission.gov.uk/publications/cc3.asp

I have been involved in various Charities as a Trustee, and they are not without problems, which are similar to those I read about on here regarding committees.

It certainly makes interesting reading,will be reading more in depth later. Thank you for the link.

We have a committee meeting on Wednesday which we will be discussing this further.

we actually have a committee and trustees! the trustees don't do all that much though!

was it the early years advisor who suggested having trustees instead of a committee??

i used to run a preschool, and we could not get a committee, so in the end, we had a committee, who were there to sign the cheques, and over see things, but they generally didn't do anything! we had a chair, a secretary and a treasurer!

i understand how hard it is, but on the flipside i have als experienced an almost dictatorship of a committee, and thats not good either!!

we actually have a committee and trustees! the trustees don't do all that much though!

was it the early years advisor who suggested having trustees instead of a committee??

i used to run a preschool, and we could not get a committee, so in the end, we had a committee, who were there to sign the cheques, and over see things, but they generally didn't do anything! we had a chair, a secretary and a treasurer!

i understand how hard it is, but on the flipside i have als experienced an almost dictatorship of a committee, and thats not good either!!

I would rather do with out all of it, but hey we got to have something. Have a committee meeting tonight which will be interesting, the secretarys has quit the supposedly treasuer is on holiday and has for the chair who knows what she will have to say, we never see her normally.

We have had really good input from committees in the past but people are so busy that I think they generally do not have the time combined with the fact that if they receive grants for their children they seem to think thats all we need to run. I just wish we could get the message across in a positive way.

Still I know we are not the only group struggling, its time for the government to bring Eraly years in to line with schools etc, then we would all know where we stand.

Hi

Just like to say that i really feel for you! We are having issues with our comm and we have no money (there has been talk of secret finance meetings and someone mentioned that they would be left with £60!). We are are not sure what is happening as the comm wont involve us. Just wish we could do away with it all also. We are du to vote in new comm at end of april. New chair already ropped out and new vice and sec are in for a shock when they go to meeting with current chair re finances as currnt comm have kept all this secret from the parents too. Nightmare.

What with finances, being told we are no longer going to be paid for meetings, planning etc, staying behind to tidy up, and yesterday our SENCO lady resigned as she has been offered more hours and more support for working at the beauty salon. So not only looking for deputy but SENCO too..although comm will expect me and job share to do it even tho not trained to...

sorry taken over into a moan...AGAIN!

Would just like to do it ourselves.....

Hi

Just like to say that i really feel for you! We are having issues with our comm and we have no money (there has been talk of secret finance meetings and someone mentioned that they would be left with £60!). We are are not sure what is happening as the comm wont involve us. Just wish we could do away with it all also. We are du to vote in new comm at end of april. New chair already ropped out and new vice and sec are in for a shock when they go to meeting with current chair re finances as currnt comm have kept all this secret from the parents too. Nightmare.

What with finances, being told we are no longer going to be paid for meetings, planning etc, staying behind to tidy up, and yesterday our SENCO lady resigned as she has been offered more hours and more support for working at the beauty salon. So not only looking for deputy but SENCO too..although comm will expect me and job share to do it even tho not trained to...

sorry taken over into a moan...AGAIN!

Would just like to do it ourselves.....

I know how you feel Marley, , I have been involved in the finance side since last Sept when we appointed an administrator and its really good to know where and how the money is being spent. Admin keep me in the loop so to speak.Financially we keep going but they won`t fundraise and I `m not allowed any more staff was told need to manage their time better, if only they knew how much time we have to spend on obs and assessments etc as well as keeping all the files up todat and thats only the basic stuff.

Chin up girl as I say we do it for the kids and certainly not for the money. Good luck with your committee.