Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Kissing Children In Your Care

Gosh, what an interesting and thought provoking post.

My initial reaction was "I'm a childminder, working in a home-based setting, with smaller ratios, of course I'm going to kiss the children IF they instigate it. They all line up for a kiss 'goodbye' before they go into school"

However, having read on, Peggy raises some very valid points.

I like to think I'd notice if a child was uncomfortable with the idea.

I don't kiss the babies "hello" or "goodbye" unless the parents suggest it yet I kiss them during play or while cuddling and feeding - how strange that I make a distinction without realising! :o

Quite honestly, having read this I think I need to ponder on it a bit more and discuss it with the families I childmind for.

Working alone, as most childminders do, perhaps I need to exercise more caution?!

Nona

I thought of this post today!

One of the boys today was sitting at the snack table looking very upset and sorry for himself. When I asked him what was wrong, he wouldn't tell me but he said he was okay. He went off to play and then later I found him sitting down on his own looking very upset again. I asked him what was wrong and he told me he couldn't tell me but "I just feel so sad today" . So I asked him what I could do to make it better, and he took my hand up to his cheek and said "Kiss here" after this he was fine!

All day I kept thinking about how he would've felt if I'd said no...

Today I was on a training course for the designated child protection person and at one point we were given a handout entitled 'professional abuse'. We were asked to consider a range of statements and decide whether the actions they described were 'professional', 'unprofessional' or 'abuse'.

Since kissing children was not on the list, I asked the trainer what she thought about kissing children in a childcare setting. To cut a long story short, the consensus was that practitioners should not instigate a kiss. If a child initiated a kiss, then the practitioner should do everything possible to ensure that it was planted on a cheek and certainly not on the lips. She did suggest making 'kissing noises' (a bit like air kissing, if you get my drift).

Just thought I'd share!

Maz

and on reflection the children who throw themselves at me for hug and kiss when I visit are those children....

and surprisingly or not so I was brought up like that too..

so find it normal ,

didn't I actually realise this until now and it was pointed out

which is why I find myself hugging parents too I suppose, but usually those who also use it in their culture..and they always instigated it... but find myself instigating it with staff these days!

Think there is a difference in the greeting/ leaving hug and kiss against kissing during play or at other times?

Personally I feel there is but perhaps this is just part of my culture.

Inge

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)