Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Scented Playdough

Feeling the need to put a new slant on the playdough activity . Really want to add scent as well as colour - tried vanilla , which was good - can anyone suggest anything else smelly ? Thanks Lizzy

Guest Wolfie

I made some playdough with curry powder in once, and added uncooked rice into it for texture too! The children loved it and it was very smelly!

Lavender for a calming session, or how about gingering things up with a bit of spice? You could ask the children what their favourite smells are and work through the list from the top down!

I'd go for chocolate but I dare say you'd increase the likelihood of children eating it... :o

Maz

mixed spices and currants are great for making currant buns- give them paper bun cases/bun trays -they smell lovely and very realistic !

I did choclate orange smelling play dough when we were celebrating valentines day - I gave them empty chocolate box layers to fill in with dough - it was hard work that weekend eating all those chocolates to provide them with the inserts!!

Fruit tea is great! 2 cups water, 2 cups salt, boil up, add leaves from 4 fruit tea bags - (adds colour, texture and scent). Take of heat, add 2 cups cornflour and stir. May need to put back on GENTLE heat to bind. Really easy, lasts for ages in air-tight container and makes the classroom smell lovely!! The colours are gorgeous - pastles.

Green Hippo!

I've got some stale ground coffee I'm going to add to mine next week replacing a couple of spoons of flour with coffee like with cocoa powder. I'm also thinking of using it in the water tray? I'm thinking kettle full of boiling water in a bucket with a full pack before I go home. Strain (with children) next morning and add to water tray

Orange, Lemon, Strawberry or peppermint are all good.

Chocolate also very popular (smells good enough to eat, but funny enough children don't seem to taste it!)

For Firework celebrations and Halloween I made black playdough with 'edible fairy dust' - very popular as it sparkles

as children handle it!

Also tried Lavender (aromatherapy oil) and Tangerine Burner Oil (Body Shop) - smells delicious!

Always trying different smells and colours - the playdough table is always crowded!

dottyp

wow, lots of great ideas. I am going to try them all. green hippo I love the idea of the fruit tea, I bet it smells good. mrsW

wow, lots of great ideas. I am going to try them all. green hippo I love the idea of the fruit tea, I bet it smells good. mrsW

Me too! Definitely going to try that one - I think we have some fruit teabags knocking around in the back of our cupboard. If not I might donate a few Earl Greys to the cause! :o

Great idea Greenhippo! I have a member of staff on detox at moment and she's got some lovely

smelling 'raspberry' tea bags in the cupboard - will ask her for a couple monday! I also like the idea

of 'pastel' coloured playdough - mine is always brightly coloured!

dottyp :o

I've got some stale ground coffee I'm going to add to mine next week replacing a couple of spoons of flour with coffee like with cocoa powder. I'm also thinking of using it in the water tray? I'm thinking kettle full of boiling water in a bucket with a full pack before I go home. Strain (with children) next morning and add to water tray

Word to the wise, we used coffee in our water tray a few months back and it stained the tray, children's clothes and teaset we put in it!! The only way to clean tray and teaset was in strong Milton, so be careful!! :o

I've just made some playdough with Twinings Cranberry and Orange Tea as suggested by Greenhippo - It looks and smells delicious and has a slight texture too! I use cream of tartar in my recipe and it always comes out lovely and springy. Lasts

for weeks in a plastic bag or air tight container.

2 cups plain flour

1 cup salt

4 teaspoons cream of tartar

4 tea bags (empty leaves into flour)

2 tablespoons of vegetable oil

2 cups BOILING hot water

Stir all dry ingredients in a bowl, add oil and boiling water. Stir immediately until mixture has completely blended

and comes away from the sides. Knead on a work surface for a couple of minutes until smooth and shiny

(I tend to wear rubber gloves for this bit cos the playdough is still hot!)

dottyp

Thanks dottyp - I shall try this because I am an absolute playdough dunce! Whenever I make it on the hob it is just horrible. So I hope your method will work wonders for me!

Don't tell MrsWeasley though - I shall be using her blackcurrant tea! :o

Maz

Glad you like the fruit tea idea (can't take the credit - stolen from a course!). I've made playdough with plain flour and cream of tartar for years which works fine although can be difficult to always get a good consistency. However, using cornflour was recently recommended and I find is much easier and lasts longer. Cornflour has it's own binding agent in it so no need for cream of tartar or oil! Really easy and pretty fool-proof (not had a burnt pan yet!!).

Enjoy

Green Hippo xx

I know its tempting to keep playdough for ages, but please remember it can be a major hazard - worms for instance? The dough gets under the children's finger nails and dirt is readily transferred to the dough......... also there's germs from coughs, colds etc. Personally I prefer to change it weekly. After all, its cheap enough to make so why risk it?

Maybe 'textured' playdough is not the way forward :o

The worst playdough we ever made was chocolate, which was lovely in itself. But then someone decided to add some rice to the mix and it looked truly horrendous.

Will leave that one to your imagination... xD

The worst playdough we ever made was chocolate, which was lovely in itself. But then someone decided to add some rice to the mix and it looked truly horrendous.

Will leave that one to your imagination... :o

ew. thanks for the image!

I made the chocolate play dough last week and the staff didn't like it. The children loved it although it became crumbly quickly. We rather naughtly placed a sausage of it coiled on the office floor :o they were not impressed xD

GreenHippo, I have just made the cornflour recipe but for some reason it is still really sticky........ I've resorted to putting it in the microwave for a bit but to no avail..... what should I do?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)