Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Any One Know How To Make One.....

Hello there,

Does anyone remember the black boards where you scratch off the black to reveal a multi-coloured back, so enabling to make really good patterns?

I know you can buy them, but I'm pretty sure you can make them aswell, does anyone know how to go about it?

Thanks for your help

Salsa

We used to use wax crayons. Colour on card on stripes with good wax crayons in lovely colours, making sure you fill all the card up quite thickly. Then colour over the whole lot with black wax crayon equally thickly - I think you can use poster paint but i've not tried to see if it goes on wax crayon or not. Then simply scratch away with something and make lovely pictures! have fun

Yes, small clogs of black wax stuck in my finger nails....remember it well. xD

My son has the newer version, (an xmas pressy from Aunty). A book with all black pages and a 'magic' pen which when used on black page miraculously deletes the black to show multi colours. Unfortunately my son put the 'magic' pencil in his mouth and drew around his lips causing a multi coloured face of very hard to remove 'magic' liquid. Now I bet he wouldn't stick a wax crayon in his mouth (YUK). The 'old' ways are always the best eh. :o

Peggy

Not all paint will go over wax crayon - think back to your magic paintings when you painted with a wax crayon or candle and then put a wash of paint over the top to magically reveal your picture

Not all paint will go over wax crayon

I think I can remember doing this with very very thick black paint over the crayon. Or it might have been black crayon over felt tipped pen! Either way it was an incredibly long process even for a small piece of paper. Wouldn't fancy doing it with pre-schoolers (or even making them for pre-schoolers to scratch off, come to that!).

Happy days!

Maz

Thanks for that, I think I agreee with Maz, definately to much work for Pre-school. I have done 'magic' wax and paint pictures this week and thought about the 'scratch' pictures as a follow on but I may change my mind.

Thanks again for your answers.

Sal

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)