Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Dont Know Which Way To Turn

Hi everyone, having read all the really excellent replies to job problems I hope that someone here can give me some sensible advice as I am not getting anywhere with the heirachy at my school. :o

I am really sad there and having only started in January, I am already looking for a new job (and started to do so after just 3 weeks). There are issues over the amount of release time I should have, CPD, classroom support....it goes on. I keep bringing it up with management but no one does anything about it and I just feel as if I am wingeing ALL the time. I am very worried about telling them I am thinking of leaving as I have heard on the grapevine of very unprofessional practices that happen when staff say this, which isn't going to look good as a reference then is it? I'm sort of stuck as to what to do as I am getting desperate with the situation and crying on my way to work each day. xD

I am at the point of just handing in my notice and doing supply again until I can find something else. Problem is I am an NQT so that also would not look good on my application forms.

Oh dear, what an awful predicament to be in. Do you still have mentor support from college/training provider? They my be able to help you. If you don't have one, do you have an early years advisor who could come and offer you some support, and a written report which states her views on CPD etc which you would naturally pass on to the Governors.

I hope you can find some peace over this, It's awful going to work when you are unhappy.

Hi

This must be awful for you! I am a FS co-ordinator in a school and am currently mentoring our NQT who also started in January. As you are aware there is a dedicated amount of time you should have for PPA and NQT time each week (10% of your teaching time for each) For our NQT this totals 1 day per week. Has your mentor had the appropriate training? Have you spoken to your SIP/SCO as they are ultimately responsible for ensuring that you have this time out each week and should have been in to see how you are settling in your first half term? You should be able to speak to them in confidence as they are there to support you. It makes me really sad to know that you are feeling really unhappy and are obviously not getting the support you are entitled to. Our NQT is in Reception and has full time ETA support with 25 children, although I really had to make the Head aware how vital ETA support is, especially at this early age. Maybe you could contact your teaching union for some advice. I have always found my really useful and of course they will respect your confidentiality, unless you want them to become more involved. Take care, keep smiling and hope you get the support you deserve x

Sorry forgot to add - in terms of CPD, realistically if you are to meet your core standards, the school must send you on training courses / allow time out to watch colleagues. Im sure the school are given money in their budget to send you on the NQT courses anyway. Let me know how you go on x

Hi Kathy

You need to contact your union. Not your school rep, your regional rep or even seek advice from HQ. If you are not in a union, join one and get some advice.

I know how hard it is when you feel so unhappy, please take care and seek help from your doctor too if things get too bad.

thank you to everyone for their suppport and also advice. It seems I'm not going so mad after all! The NQT advisors agree with me about the PPA anyway and have said they will have a 'quiet word' but I am really scared what that will do to my future career there and subsequent references if I move on.

Not only that, I have just been reading the statutory guidance to clarify a few points and am really worried these are not being adhered to. Perhaps someone here will know.....

last week I was left with 26 children in the afternoon on my own, the class next door allows a few children outside unsupervised because there is only one teacher in there and I don't always have another person either and it's been implied I should also do that. I thought at all times there has to be 2 memebers of staff one of which is a teacher. Coupled with that, I haven't got a paedeatric first aid certificate and I don't think the other teacher has and we are taking al of reception out on a trip. I have 8 summer born children in my class too, doeas that effect the ratios? What should I do now? :oxD:(

Hi

This must be awful for you! I am a FS co-ordinator in a school and am currently mentoring our NQT who also started in January. As you are aware there is a dedicated amount of time you should have for PPA and NQT time each week (10% of your teaching time for each) For our NQT this totals 1 day per week. Has your mentor had the appropriate training? Have you spoken to your SIP/SCO as they are ultimately responsible for ensuring that you have this time out each week and should have been in to see how you are settling in your first half term? You should be able to speak to them in confidence as they are there to support you. It makes me really sad to know that you are feeling really unhappy and are obviously not getting the support you are entitled to. Our NQT is in Reception and has full time ETA support with 25 children, although I really had to make the Head aware how vital ETA support is, especially at this early age. Maybe you could contact your teaching union for some advice. I have always found my really useful and of course they will respect your confidentiality, unless you want them to become more involved. Take care, keep smiling and hope you get the support you deserve x

Thank you! sorry to seem dumb but what is the SIP/SCO? If it's to do with NQT support, I'm not sure that the school had registered me until recently as I have only just received a letter from the LA and still NOT got my NQT file!!! :o

Hi Kathy

Our NQT advisor for the Authority is our School Improvement Partner (SIP) or it may be your School Contact Officer / School Improvement Officer (SCO). Someone from your Authority is responsible for ensuring that NQTs have a solid induction. Have you been on your NQT induction training yet? This gave our NQTs really good advice. I really feel for you. The school have a duty to support you once they have taken you on as an NQT. Are you there on a temporary contract until Summer term? - therefore would you complete your induction elsewhere?

Do you have any friends who you trained with, who work in your Authority, that you could ask for some advice? What about looking on the Authority's website for a contact name.

Sorry what year group do you have? Reception upwards is 1 adult to 30 children. So, in terms of this the school is working to the guidelines, but I know this isn't helpful when you have so many young children. We are fortunate in our school because the head realises the value of ETA support and all classes have at least 1 ETA

Im assuming you have reception class - remember the guidelines are that children should have the choice whether they 'work' outside or inside where possible. The inside and outdoor classroom should mirror each other in terms of the opportunities that the children have to learn. How does this work where you are? I know all settings are different and that you have to do the best you can with what you've got. It sounds like an extra adult would at least resolve some of the issues you are facing. I wouldn't advocate having children out of your view. If an accident were to happen, it wouldleave you in a very vulnerable position. Are you able to talk to the FS Co-ordinator about these issues?

We have 4 members of staff within FS who are paed 1st aid trained and there should alsways be someone in the room at all times with training. Certainly when you go on a trip you need someone with you who is trained.

Take care and let me know how you go on

Karen

thank you to everyone for their suppport and also advice. It seems I'm not going so mad after all! The NQT advisors agree with me about the PPA anyway and have said they will have a 'quiet word' but I am really scared what that will do to my future career there and subsequent references if I move on.

It is your legal entitlement to this non contact time and has nothing to do with any future references so please put that worry aside! All teachers have PPA and as an NQT you get the additional 10% so it is in effect 1 day a week.

Your LA should have an induction programme of training which you can go to and should be supported in going to by your mentor in school - do you have one? you need to record all of this in a dated record and keep very close record of conversations had and guidance/support given by the school.

In relation to first aid, there needs to be someone available in the school with paediatric first aid and you would need someone with this qualification to go on a trip. Share your concerns with the HT re this in terms of your risk assessment as it is their responsibility/the governing bodies not yours to ensure compliance with the EYFS statutory guidance as the provider. IF you don't have someone that does constitute a risk in my opinion so maybe you won't be able to do the trip as planned???

The summer born children are still in the reception age range and would be covered by the 1:30 ratio that is the legal minimum.

January is a very hard time to join the profession and to get upto speed.If you are in reception it is essential that you find out about the EYFSP time line for your LA, you may be having a visit or going to a moderation meeting but you need to know this.

It is the schools professional responsibility to support you and if they are failing in that duty you would have a strong case for complaint if you were not to pass your induction. That's why records kept are crucial!

Cx

Im assuming you have reception class - remember the guidelines are that children should have the choice whether they 'work' outside or inside where possible. The inside and outdoor classroom should mirror each other in terms of the opportunities that the children have to learn. How does this work where you are? I know all settings are different and that you have to do the best you can with what you've got. It sounds like an extra adult would at least resolve some of the issues you are facing. I wouldn't advocate having children out of your view. If an accident were to happen, it wouldleave you in a very vulnerable position. Are you able to talk to the FS Co-ordinator about these issues?

We have 4 members of staff within FS who are paed 1st aid trained and there should alsways be someone in the room at all times with training. Certainly when you go on a trip you need someone with you who is trained.

Take care and let me know how you go on

Karen

Hi thank you for your advice. I have approached the FS leader about the paediatric certificate and she didn't seem to know about it or could even find where it says it in the document! Am I going mad and interpreting it wrongly? as far as I can see, there should be a paediatric first aid trained person in the EYFS despite there being a first aider in the school office for everyone else AND there should also be 2 members of staff with the children at all times, one of which should be a school teacher plus it also says children should be supervised at all times. I raised the issue of children outside in the fenced off area on their own saying I was not comfortable with this. i was told to lock my door which I presume is the inside classroom door and position myself outside so I could see in! With all the cosy nooks and crannies I have created that would be impossible as would being inside and looking out as the window sills are too high to see over if I am seated and the fenced area stretches across 2 classes so I can't see it all. Am I just being very difficult. Right now I feel like I'm being stupid and awkward btu knowing what these parents are like they would soon complain if there was an accident. Not sure what else to do but leave as I feel so compromised. :o

I really feel for you! It sounds as though you are in an untenable situation and no-one is interested/prepared to make it any better for you. I'd not be comfortable leaving children out or in on their own. I'm sure you are right about the paed 1st aid. Try and push for a course for you both to go on - can you help organise one which parents would be interested in attending too - then you could take them on your trips out as well! In the short-term, might it be worth asking around to see if a parent or colleague has it and they could go with you this time?

Hi Kathy

Our NQT advisor for the Authority is our School Improvement Partner (SIP) or it may be your School Contact Officer / School Improvement Officer (SCO). Someone from your Authority is responsible for ensuring that NQTs have a solid induction. Have you been on your NQT induction training yet? This gave our NQTs really good advice. I really feel for you. The school have a duty to support you once they have taken you on as an NQT. Are you there on a temporary contract until Summer term? - therefore would you complete your induction elsewhere?

Do you have any friends who you trained with, who work in your Authority, that you could ask for some advice? What about looking on the Authority's website for a contact name.

Sorry what year group do you have? Reception upwards is 1 adult to 30 children. So, in terms of this the school is working to the guidelines, but I know this isn't helpful when you have so many young children. We are fortunate in our school because the head realises the value of ETA support and all classes have at least 1 ETA

Oh right, yes I have spoken to the SCO via the local NQT adviser. They all agree that the PPA is definately wrong and mutter about what should be happening about eveything else. They do want to have a word but that's what I am scared of as other memebers of staff that are leaving have had a hard time for raising similar issues in the past. I'm in a difficult position as an NQT. I went to see another school today as I am getting desperate. I guess I shall just have to leave teaching as this just isn't working for me. :o

Oh right, yes I have spoken to the SCO via the local NQT adviser. They all agree that the PPA is definately wrong and mutter about what should be happening about eveything else. They do want to have a word but that's what I am scared of as other memebers of staff that are leaving have had a hard time for raising similar issues in the past. I'm in a difficult position as an NQT. I went to see another school today as I am getting desperate. I guess I shall just have to leave teaching as this just isn't working for me. :o

Sorry, forgot to say that yes I do have reception and no I haven't had any NQT induction training from the LA even though I have requested some from my mentor.

Paediatric first aid requirement on page 26 of the statutory booklet (skinnier one) second para under illnesses and injuries. FSCo must be blind not to have seen it before.

RE 2 adults - in a reception class you have a ratio of 1:30. As you are in a school you will have 2 people in "the setting" just not necessarily in the same room as you.

Re PPA time - then just go to your union. They will have to have the word and it's just not good enough. You have every right to complain as this is appallingly shabby treatment.

Ultimately however a new start in a more sympathetic school might be a move in the right direction and there is no shame in that. I did it right at the start of my career (25 yrs ago!!!) and I'm damn glad I did.

Cxxx

Hi Kathy

You really do need to contact your union. I am so ashamed that people who are in this caring profession are not giving you the support that you are entitled to. Keep writing on the forum. Everyone is so helpful and supportive and will do all they can to offer advice and keep you smiling! :o

Karen

Hi Kathy

You really do need to contact your union. I am so ashamed that people who are in this caring profession are not giving you the support that you are entitled to. Keep writing on the forum. Everyone is so helpful and supportive and will do all they can to offer advice and keep you smiling! :o

Karen

thank you everyone, it's so great to know other professionals are in agreement with me. I find the support staff in my school are the most helpful, everyone else either looks the other way or tells me they know how i feel as they've been through it (not alot of help!) After another appalling day I think I will have to give in and try to find somewhere else or do something else. I don't want to give my notice in until easter as I have my class assembly to go yet which I have to do on my own and have never done one before. Seem to be on my own for that too so I will be begging for a TA to be there to help me. Never felt so low. xD

Paediatric first aid requirement on page 26 of the statutory booklet (skinnier one) second para under illnesses and injuries. FSCo must be blind not to have seen it before.

RE 2 adults - in a reception class you have a ratio of 1:30. As you are in a school you will have 2 people in "the setting" just not necessarily in the same room as you.

Re PPA time - then just go to your union. They will have to have the word and it's just not good enough. You have every right to complain as this is appallingly shabby treatment.

Ultimately however a new start in a more sympathetic school might be a move in the right direction and there is no shame in that. I did it right at the start of my career (25 yrs ago!!!) and I'm damn glad I did.

Cxxx

Sigh of relief! I didn't think I was seeing things! I suppose it is difficult to have someone point a statutory requirement out to you especially by an NQT. When you say setting do you mean the rooms i.e indoor/outdoor classroom. We have 2 reception classes and a joint outdoor area. In the afternoons there are 58 children and just 2 teachers most of the time. The rooms aren't open plan.

As for my union, they keep passing me around from person to person. ......Think I'll just leave. Heard today that HT delays sending references on to new employers just to make things difficult. lovely. :o

Your setting is the EYFS classes in the school so 2 adults and 58 children would be within ratio and meet the requirements of EYFS - although you are on your own in the classroom you are not on your own in the building if you see what i mean.

You really should contact your union headquarters/regional office if the local office is not supporting you and report this to somebody- don't worry about what other people least of all the HT may or my not do - that is just rumour until proven so!!! You have rights in law that are being ignored. Try not to "predict" things and then worry about them - until they actually happen they don't exist. Look at the things you can do something about and then decide your action plan - and you could hand your notice in now and not be able to leave until the end of the summer term so you need to consider strategies for coping with this situation.

I would also go to your GP and discuss this with them - depression triggered by stress is an invidious thing (take it from me, I know) and you need to be in a frame of mind that can manage the situation rather than become overwhelmed by it. Easy to say I know but there is help available. Don't give up with the union but try to remind yourself that at the end of everything it is one school in millions of lovely supportive places and you deserve to be in one.

Cx