Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Enhanced Disclosures

I wondered if any one has experience with disclosure, its my other half he has branched into playwork as a change of career and found himself enjoying it but on his disclosure is a conviction for indecent exposure! well this was in the form of urinating in an alley one night after quite a few drinks.

The police put it down as indecent exposure and now he is having trouble securing employment in childcare.

Oh this was 23 years ago when he was a youngster and in the army.

I just cant find any information and ofstead just say its up to setting to decide whether to employ him or not ! I just wondered if anyone can shed any light to this problem? :o

Hi Pauline, and welcome to the site.

Congratulations for such an original first post :o

I can't offer any legal advice, but I had thought that certain convictions had a limited life, as it were, and were erased from one's record after x years. I'm clearly no expert though....maybe somebody else can enlighten us?

xD

He did apply to the police through CRB procedure to query convictions on disclosures but they said as the information is correct they refused to remove the conviction.

I have read on the rehabilitation website that this conviction is spent after a certain time. I feel there is an answer some where but I need to find the key :o

Hi Pauline -

It seems slightly unusual for the police to have charged him with this offence. In my day, he would probably have been charged with one of three offences - drunk and indecent, drunk and incapable, or drunk and disorderly. All of these are civil offences rather than criminal offences, and therefore wouldn't have shown up on a disclosure form.

I'm not sure what can be done really. I guess it would help if he still had the details of the offence in the form of police statements or something, which would enable him to re-assure a potential employer that what he did was nothing many of us might not have done ourselves on occasion! :o )

Hope you find a solution - welcome to the forum by the way! :)

Hi Pauline, most convictions are 'spent' after a number of years, the amount of time differs depending on the 'crime'. I think (not sure here) that crimes relating to sex are never spent, so if the police recorded it as exposure that could well be the problem. :o

Hi pauline and welcome!

Im afraid I have no words of wisdom or comfort to offer you. It certainly seems very unfair.

I'm afraid although I understand why, I do think the CRB disclosure proceedures have gone mad. Ive recently had to obtain CRB clearance to join teaching supply agencies and despite a certificate dated September 2004, another agency I have approached this week is insisting another clearance. Not quite your problem agreed but nevertheless absurd!

Hope you can get it sorted. Good luck.

I thouhgt that in the case of working with children your conviction was never 'spent' and hence could be reason your partner is still finding it difficult to find employment. the CAB would be a good place to get more details.