Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Writing Tables

Hi I am new to this forum although I have looked at other people's questions and answers. In our foundation stage area we have to have a writing table with a focus, I am struggling for new ideas, does anyone else have any ideas how to brighten up a writing table. Have to say though that my children prefer using clip boards, large rolls of paper, white boards etc, but literacy co-ordinator and HT insistent on having a writing table with a focus.

Many thanks

Kate :

Hi I am new to posting on this forum although I do enjoy searching through the postings for answers to my queries. So keep up the good work all of you. Now to my problem, in the foundation area we have to have a prominent writing table and I am fast running out of new ideas for a focus for the table. We have tried to link it into the literacy theme of the week/s. I have to say though that my children enjoy using clip boards, writing books, rolls of wall paper etc as opposed to the writing table. However, the lit coordinator and the HT are insistent on having a writing table, personally I find it another hoop to jump through. Any ideas please.

Kate

We always have a writing area no matter what else is going on.

The children have access to drawers containing the usual stuff..... card, white paper, coloured paper, lined paper, squared paper, envelopes, greetings cards, tissue paper, sticky paper, stickers and printing pads and stamps.

On the table are different sorts of pens /pencils/felt pens etc pls stapler, cellotape, glue sticks, scissors.

Then there are 2 little cubes with 4 drawers in each and they hold split pins, paper fasteners, elastic bands ad paper clips, with the other one holding chubby wax crayons. We also have a little pot containing used stamps which they use on their letters.

The children often link what is going on at the table to the story or theme but if for instance we had a builders yard we would have clipboards, plans etc somewhere else not on that table.

It works very well and there isn't a constant need to have an idea for the table... the children lead whas going there.

Occasionally we will put out paper with snowmen on or characters from a stroy so they can write to them but other than that they lead the way.

Interest at the table could be kick started when the children found a new colour paper on it or a different shaped paper.

Any help?

By the way, welcome!!!

Hi Kate - all of the things that Scarlettangel listed , envelopes - we collect all of those return envelopes that you get in junk mail. Always a very popular area - oh should have said telephones, calculators, hole punch too.

Sunnyday

ditto on the contents of the writing area here. We always incorporate a 'reason for writing' with role play areas and in basic provision areas (water being the odd one out :o ) we provide clipboards, paper and writing tools

Maybe you could show you are covering writing for a purpose in other areas

Thanks to all of you who have answered my query. The problem is, is that we do have writing around the classroom as many of you suggested with lots of writing opportunities. We have to have a seprate publishing table where the children can glue, stick, cut, use any type of paper etc but we still have to have a writing table as well. This week we are doing Three Pigs and we have a builders yard with clip board, telephone, books etc and I have to use the writing table as well so have put houses for sale and hope the children will draw a house and then describe it (ha ha). We have an outdoor area where they are building dens and still have to do writing associated with it. I know there is a big push on writing but I feel too much writing will put the children off especially the boys. Maybe it is time to sit down with the Lit coordinator and HT and explain once again that whatever the children are doing there are writing opportunities and it doesn't have to be done sitting down!!

Cor what a boring teacher I must sound like, just think it is frustration of other's not clearly understanding early years.

Well it has been nice talking to you and hopefully it will not be too long before I do so again.

Thanks everyone

Kate

• 3 weeks later...

I realise this is a bit late- and hello to everyone, this is my first posting- yippee. I am a bit anxious about having a writing table at all because it is a bit like saying 'this is where we do writing' as opposed to the idea that mark making can go on anywhere. In true foundaton stage style (!) I enable the children to access all the materials they need for writing, on a fabulous trolley, and they can then choose where to do it- so it can go outdoors, the construction area, the book corner, etc and it seems to work. In the role play area I have a display board the children can write directly on to- making messages for each other, lists, etc and I have a large white board that I draw a picture on each morning and children are able to write a sentence about it- I'm amazed at how popular this is and leads to loads of contextual analysis at snack time!! It is also easy to photo- so instant evidence.

My big challenge at the moment is how to involve parents more in their children's writing without it becoming an arduous homework task. I send home a bear each weekend and children write in a diary recording his activities but this only reaches one child and his/her parents once a week- do any of you creative people have any good ideas???

Claire

me again- I'm addicted now. I've just read martine horvath's article on biscuit boxes- what a fab idea. I could ask the children to look for articles at home to go in the box and write a description/explanation about it with a parent to go with it. So that's one idea- any more- or shall I just go on answering my own postings?

• 4 weeks later...

Yep agree with everyone else.

I just think it's super-important to make it an exciting place to go. So make sure there's as much there to interest the boys as there is the girls. Also, we try and add something new each week... even if it's just a different set of writing frames or glitter pens... or something based around what we're learning that week just to keep the writing area fresh and create more links in their learning.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)