Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Measure - Length

Hello

Next week our PSRN focus is length. I thought about getting the children to make different length worms and to compare by direct comparison. I'm not feeling that inspired by this though and wondered if anyone had any weird and wonderful ideas I could copy? I just want the children to feel excited and motivated by the tasks!!!

Thanks Vicki

I did this in KS1 - roll out long lengths of paper (back of wallpaper). Thick paint ... then ... painty tiddly winks along the paper or bounce a painty ball along the paper or roll Painty car wheels along the paper etc etc etc then ask children to compare distances by eye and estimate the distances between spots. perhaps they can have their worm as the non-standard measure to use.

Goos luck pw1

A colleague took some boys who were annoying another practitioner by rolling their cars down the slide out to a quiet area and made a racing game to see how far each child's car could go with one push. They made their own course, decided how they would measure each car's distance etc. I thought it was a fantastic way of building on their interests and doing a bit of maths with them!

Maz

great minds eh maz?

Hmm. That will teach me to read more thoroughly, PW. I think I may be a little hung over this morning... :o But yes, my colleague (and yourself, obviusly) does have a great mind! xD

Maz

Draw around childrens feet and then measure how many feet is this table long, how many feet to the door....

You can also make a measuring stick with 5 or more feet stuck together

Oh I like that - thank you!

My staff are soooo impressed with all 'my' new ideas!!!

sunnyday

• 1 year later...

Hi there

This is my first post so fingers crossed!

I am a third year student and have my final observation on Wednesday.

I am intending on doing this week on measurement using different vocab such a short, tall etc.

I was going to get children to draw round each other and compare the length of each child.

Can anyone think of any other ideas??

Thank you so much

Claire :o

I love the story of Jim and the Beanstalk. Last year we did lots of measuring as a follow up. Children measured round their own heads and we cut out the strips and put them on a display to compare them. Was the child with the biggest head the tallest - how could we find out. etc. The giant also popped into our classroom one night when we were all in bed and left some footprints on the carpet. We measured our own feet and compared to the giants, then (very adult directed have to admit :o ) we tried to work out about how tall the giant was by counting our feet to body height and then using the giant's footprint - ie if a child's body measured 10 footprints, the giant would be 10 giant footprints tall. The children loved it anyway!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)