Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Health And Safety

Hi everyone. Does anyone know what the official ratio for taking recption children out of school for the day is? I have been told it is 1:10 now!!! If anyone does know could they direct me to the official web site as it's hard to back it up otherwise. Thanks.

I found this for you.

The DfES recommends the following staffing ratios as a general guide for visits to local historical sites and museums or for local walks:

• 1 adult for every 6 pupils in school years 1 to 3 (under 5s reception classes should have a higher ratio);

• 1 adult for every 10-15 pupils in school years 4 to 6;

• 1 adult for every 15-20 pupils in school year 7 onwards.

The DfES recognises that higher ratios may be appropriate in particular cases, such as for higher risk activities, for particular groups of pupils or for all trips abroad. The DfES also prescribes higher ratios for swimming activities.

HTH Helen

I found this for you.

The DfES recommends the following staffing ratios as a general guide for visits to local historical sites and museums or for local walks:

• 1 adult for every 6 pupils in school years 1 to 3 (under 5s reception classes should have a higher ratio);

• 1 adult for every 10-15 pupils in school years 4 to 6;

• 1 adult for every 15-20 pupils in school year 7 onwards.

The DfES recognises that higher ratios may be appropriate in particular cases, such as for higher risk activities, for particular groups of pupils or for all trips abroad. The DfES also prescribes higher ratios for swimming activities.

HTH Helen

That's great, where did you find this? I have to say, I am really worried about taking my reception class on a 1:10 ratio, particularly as my TA can't come as the school won't pay her for the afternoon. (she only does mornings). I will also check with the LA although I would have thought the school had already done this.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Guest heleng

I put 'ratios for school trips' into Google and this came up on a union site (NUT) link but in the same link it said there was a DfES document they had taken it from.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)