Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Instant Mash

Hi

I've seen on the site about using instant mash as a messy play activity.

Could anyone please give me some pointers on how to get the most from the activity.

Is it best mixed hot and allowed to cold before use or mixed cold.

What about the consistency?

would love to here from others that do this activity.

The age range of children will be around 15months +

(not sure if posted in the right area)

Sam

Don't worry about wrong area - someone will soon put you right if need be!

Do you mean the thread that had the volcano picture? I'd have thought that you'd have to make it in the normal way, or it wouldn't mix properly

We used instant mash during the first snowy week in the new year. I bought 2 packs of the economy stuff from Sainsbury's (38pish each) and just put it in our water tray - completely dry...

The children (2 yrs to 5 years) explored it on its own for a day or two and were fascinated - loads of language! It was extra interesting cos the tray is near a blowing heater in the wall and it blew quite a distance! Then we added scoops and containers and they played with it til the end of the week and beyond into the following week. They added animals, people and vehicles too! By the end of the 2nd week it was definitely depleted and grubby looking so I added water.... the children took one look, thought I'd completely lost the plot and refused to touch it again! Good value at about 75P eh? There are 2 more bags ready for next week but I'm going to ask the children what they want in it this time!

I have used this as part of our texture theme, we used it with lots of objects and made patterns with forks and different edge scapers, but when we were ready to throw it away, we let the children add paint, they had so much fun, but god what a mess when it came to clearing away and it seemed to stick to their fingers for ages, we had to help them wash their hands. dont know who laugh more the children or the adults. :o

Thank to everyone

I'll be trying shortly and let you know how it goes.

Plenty of towels seems a good finishing point!

Parents will be involved as well and they had great fun in the past,(large scale floor painting and shaving foam play)

Sam

oooo I want to try that one. Does it work in a tuff spot or is it better in washing up bowls?

sorry this may sound really ignorant, but what is a tuff spot? thank you

It's basically a builder cemet tray available from builders shop, and places like b&Q.

Large black tray that has a small lipped edge.

Good for messy play, small world, construction toys etc

If you put a search for tuff spot on here, there is a whole listing with pic's

Edited by Guest

Thank to everyone

I'll be trying shortly and let you know how it goes.

Plenty of towels seems a good finishing point!

Parents will be involved as well and they had great fun in the past,(large scale floor painting and shaving foam play)

Sam

Just remember not to wear dark clothes on that day :o- tends to look like dired snot... not good if you have to stop of at the shops on way home!!

Just remember not to wear dark clothes on that day :o - tends to look like dired snot... not good if you have to stop of at the shops on way home!!

When working with kids who have colds, do we not usually end up looking like that some days anyway!! lol

My husband once had a comment from someone at work saying how big our son was growing, and obviously walking now - he expressed surprise until the shiny line on his trouser leg was pointed out! Hahaha. Same chap asked him the other day if son was now taller than my husband, and Mike said 'yeah - have I lost my stripe now!?!'

We're planning to use Smash on red nose day as "something funny", We're going to add red food colouring to it as we are having a red themed day! Cant wait!

We're planning to use Smash on red nose day as "something funny", We're going to add red food colouring to it as we are having a red themed day! Cant wait!

Make sure you get lots of photo's to share - and then head over here to find out about next months competition when I get round to announcing it. :o

:o Did the instant mash yesterday in washing up bowls. The staff thought I was nuts but kids had a brilliant time! Only problem was that I found mash welded to the handwashing basins and had to scrape it off with a knife before the caretake saw!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)