Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Self Reflection

Hi I just wondered whether you do anything with your staff that helps them reflect on what they are doing, how they interact with the children. As a big part of the EYFS is being reflective.... do you do anything in your setting to encourage this with the staff and if so how do you go about it?

Hi I just wondered whether you do anything with your staff that helps them reflect on what they are doing, how they interact with the children. As a big part of the EYFS is being reflective.... do you do anything in your setting to encourage this with the staff and if so how do you go about it?

hello!! i normally do this during supervision every 8 weeks or so, disuss staffs practice, how they think they are performing, how can they improve etc, staff have said they feel this is valuable and does help them reflect, which in turn improves practice

we reflect using the leuvern scales through well being and involvement

this is an excellent tool and we use it for children and our areas within the setting ( fere Levres - not sure of spelling)

reflection is only good if you observe reflect change reflect and evalaute

changing for changing sake is not good

some times items need taking away or areas need adding too or routine needs to change to accommodate the different children new to a setting

it is fantastic

we were lucky in Kent as their gave us a three year project around well being and Invovlement and it really changed a our setting. we had lots of courses on this as i say over 3 years

Kent wanted to improve outcome for children and took 3 'deprived' areas ours being one of them

what it basically said was what is this setting like here for a child? Is it like being a fish in water or out of water

if you feel safe secure in a warm cosy environment then your well being will be high and therefore your learning will be high

there where lots of other things around this like feelings and coomunication

you need to google ferre leuvres- leurven scales. He is a professer at a belguim institute and his work is world renowned

he did a lot of work as i say in Kent to improve outcomes for children and looking at data this has worked

for us, it made us always look at what we do, changed our look of our setting and reflect, without doubt improved what we do

During my EYPS training we had a go at using Adult Engagement Sheet from the EEL project which was brilliant and a tool to grade adults on their sensitivity, stimulation and autonomy given to children. As a childminder I don't get to use it in my work place but would love to, I thought it was a fantastic tool to help you look at the quality of your interactions with children

During my EYPS training we had a go at using Adult Engagement Sheet from the EEL project which was brilliant and a tool to grade adults on their sensitivity, stimulation and autonomy given to children. As a childminder I don't get to use it in my work place but would love to, I thought it was a fantastic tool to help you look at the quality of your interactions with children

Hello dcn

Have you got a copy of this sheet to share please :o

Toro

Hello dcn

Have you got a copy of this sheet to share please :o

Toro

sorry toro, just a handout I was given at uni. It may be in the doc that cait has uploaded or you could try online it was used by Bertram and Pascal in their Effective Early Learning Project but does come from Ferre Laevers

Hi,

I've just devised a general reflection sheet (attached) which relates back to the four main EYFS principles. It allows staff to reflect together on whatever activity we chose (this week: tidy up; last week; wake and shake) and each day a different pair brainstorm, for 5 mins, one area (such as Unique child). By the end of the week, we have some good evidence of refelction, some useful input for planning and something to add to our Ofsted SEF. Hope this helps!

Reflecting_on_Practice.doc

Thanks for all your replies..... i just wondered if any of you do peer on peer observation, so staff observe each other....

Love the idea of the leuven scales... going to look into this in more detail... also love the reflective practise sheet, great idea.. Thankyou

I regularly observe my staff, and I feed back to them my findings. I do about one per half term, or more if necessary - I don't tell them beforehand, and I don't sit there obviously making notes