Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ict Teaching

I have a mixed rec/yr1 class and always struggle to fit in ICT for YR1. We use 'Education City' and other various programmes throughout the week to support various subjects. No printer and only 3 computers is a problem. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

Well, I'm Preschool, one laptop, one printer.

ICT isn't just about computers though, have you a budget for things like Bee-bots, or remote controlled things? There's always things for the home corner like mobile phones, etc - anything with buttons you can push which is controlled by a microchip can be classed as ICT

you can also cook using a microwave - melting chocolate to make chocolate cakes also use a fridge to let them set.

use stop watches - make a mini sport certificate which shows children can run/dance/hop or jump/ kick a ball for one minute each = the watches are started and stopped by the chosen child (take turns) and aschildren complete each activity they tick the box - once all done they take home the certificate.

use radios and tape players -allow children to use these to listen to stories/music

use digital scales to weigh out objects perhaps fruit vegetables as part of shop.

use cd players to have a listening day - collecting sounds in the setting that they keep by putting onto player - show them how to record, play,rewind machine. use sounds recorded to sequence the day.

In regards to 'computers' I take my class down half and half to our suite to 'teach' skills like using keyboard/mouse etc. We have a computer in class and it is all linked/networked so whatever i use in suite i can have on in my class (i have this on all day for the children to use in their continuous provision) and print all out and save. I have most of my programs on my laptop for the smart board too (we have a fab ICT technical HLTA)

We have just had a new suite installed/upgraded so we are having an inset to learn all the new bits and bobs on there but we use Espresso, 2 simple software i also use my school website in the past i have used coxhoe-durham schools website, the grid for learning websites Kents, Essex. If i can as well if children have interests like thomas tank, their favourite cbeebies character will check it out first although can't go wrong with the cbeebies website and have that oh and also BBC schools website.

We use Beebots they are fab (we got a small group pack too and some of the resources), and like others have said phones, walkie talkies. I think it is on kent grid for learning website where there is some thing about ICT i think it is the kent one

http://www.kented.org.uk/ngfl/earlyict/posters.html

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)