Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Numbers As Labels And For Counting

Hi everyone, I feel I need some inspiration on NLC ideas I'm fed up of using the same old resources and can't seem to get the children to make marks to represent numbers by choice. Can anyone help? Have used the obvious resources such as playdough, compare bears, food,etc but feel a bit stuck in a rut now

You got any magnetic numbers?

My helper of the day counts the numbers of children in each key group and puts a magnetic number under their names (which are also on the magnetic whiteboard - simple self registration) and then we do a sum, putting in the + and = to make the total. they then know how many cups and mats etc. to get out at snacktime.

We do the same sort of class addition on a laminated board.How many children are here today? Lunches, sandwiches etc. the children use a white board pen to complete-always a forest of hands wanting to do the marking for the class There are other 'charts' during the day. Who's waiting for a turn with the favourite bike? etc There is never a sortage of boys wanting to mark make if there is something in it for them

are you allowed to chalk outside on the floor or walls? we use chalk for the children to mark out number bays to put their cars in and they also make number plates for the cars, we also encourage them to put numbers on the floor in a hopscotch grid or just to mark when a bike or car has gone to the garage for petrol if they are the pump attendant!!!! we also use clip boards and grids to do traffic surveys of the cars, bikes, tractors! etc along the main road we have a small group and they enjoy jotting down how many of each number they see, we even had to make a special note of a horse and rider last time we did this! treasure hunts work well for us too we put pictures around the room and outside and the children can mark off how many of a certain picture the can find this could be done using pictures relating to numbers ie 2 ducks, 3 bears etc

We took part in the RSPB birdwatch for schools. I drew up a simple chart showing a few common birds and the children put tally marks next to them when they saw them in the garden. Since then they've carried on making their own tally charts for various activities around the classroom.

Since then they've carried on making their own tally charts for various activities around the classroom.

Its great when children taken an idea and run with it isn't it?

I see that I didn't welcome you before when you snuck into a different thread trying to go unnoticed! :o

Welcome to the Forum, Helen - make yourself at home, won't you?

Maz

We had a calendar hanging on the home corner wall (ignored) until some of the boys turned the area into Pizza Hut. One of the girls brought me the calendar covered in marks and said look thats how many custoners we've had today. They also wrote down telephone numbers for home delivery orders. Both activities were completely CI.

Another recent thing is making raffle tickets folded and placed in a cardboard box for staff to pick out. I can only assume this came from the Christmas fair.

Edited by Marion

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)