Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Letters And Parcels Topic

Our new topic is letters and parcels. I teach a nursery class in the inner city with just 3's to nearly 5's. We have some children with no English and lots with very poor language skills, but some of the older children are very articulate. Can anyone suggest any good books related to the topic? We are already going to use 'Bunny Cakes' by Rosemary Wells. :o

Aside from the stories that others have suggested, there's a lovely story that my class love called Dear Bear. I don't have the author to hand, but if you are interested I'll get it for you after half term.

The story is about a girl being frightened of a bear under the stairs so she writes to it and it writes back. A really sweet story.

What about the story about the little boy who wanted a present from the zoo but every parcel that arrived had an animal too scary, too big, etc, cant remeber what it's called though 'Dear Zoo'??

Postman Pat is the obvious one for me. You can get so much out of it; ordering parcels, wrapping them, sending letters, postcards, printing your own wrapping paper, delivering letters, making maps of Greendale,

I bought a Postman Pat doll from a charity shop. The children take him home in a little sack and write a letter to be 'read' to the rest of the class about Pat's visit to their home :)

What about taking nursery rhyme characters of story book characters and writing letters to them. Little Miss Muffett (I'm scared of...) Goldilocks (sorry letter to the bears), Little Bo Peep (letter to the police describing sheep or asking for help) etc. I

Hope this helps :o

There's also "A letter to Father christmas" by Rose Impey and Sue Porter. I've used that with nursery. "Katie Morag delivers the mail" is the Katie Morag one.

I did some things on post during a People who help us topic so here is the outline of that week. Can't find the detailed plan.....must have been an off week!!