Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Mark Making 'books'

Good Afternoon Everyone!!

I am feeling a little deflated having had an afternoon of feedback from our Early Years Development workers. I know it is their job to be critical and I do agree with a lot that was said, but I can't help feeling that all my hardwork has been overlooked in favour of many negative comments and ways to improve!!

The main reason for my post is for some justification on the use of 'mark making books' and the positivities that they pose? By mark making i mean the little red books with the lines known as 'handwriting books' .....

What are your views? ....remember, i am in a preschool setting :o Do other settings use these or something similar??

Jellytots

I used to use something similar. The children could access them when ever they wanted and I also encouraged them to 'write' down things like what they thought of the book they'd taken home, what they wanted for christmas, what they had enjoyed playing with that day. Simple things to get them to see writing as a means of comunicating.

My setting do not use mark making books. We have lots of different means of mark making out all session, either paint, pencils, crayons, messy play, role play resources, all of which they can take home, and if they are significant we copy them for evidence in their learning journeys, but we do not have mark making books.

xx

We do the same as LauraB100 but have noticed over the past couple of weeks that a number of children have been using scrap paper we have been given with forms printed out on back and filling them in as an adult would do without any intrevention from staff. So I have now printed off some templates which the children can use if them so choose.

smiles

We also do all the same as LauraB100 but we also observed that some of our older children were going around the setting with old note books and diaries and a pen/pencil writing in them.

So we offered them a 'book' of their own to draw write stories etc in.The books are blank inside. They are really enjoying having them not just for the writing and pictures that they do in them but because it is their book which they can keep in their draw or take home and use them at home.

Our children each have a small spiral bound notebook each in their trays. They can access these as and when they like, and there are lots of whiteboards (bought at Tesco for £1!) and pens for them to use too, as well as the usual pieces and rolls of paper etc for whatever they want to do

I found a 'mark making' book today from yesteryear!! I used it, to make a tent for the dolls house!! :o We don't use the pre-lined books, as others we have loads of different mark making opportunities without the need for 'books'. Children hav access to lots of different paper, pens etc.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)