Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Cochlear Implants

Sharky

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of having a 2 year old with a cochlear implant in their setting? I obviously have to make a risk assessment before this child starts with us with regard to both the safety and wellbeing of the child and his implant. He will have a dedicated support worker but he's inevitably going to get involved in some gentle rough and tumble, running, climbing, etc. I want him to have as much freedom as possible without running the risk of damaging the implant.

hi my sister has a cochlear implant since she was 2 and a half shes now 14 and has always been in mainstream education. is there anything you would like to particularly know as i have lots of sources of info including the preschool n school she attended.xx

Hi

We had a little girl for two years with an implant. The only thing you have to get used to is putting the external earpiece back into place when they knock it off during play, however you will probably find the other children become very adept at replacing it for you!!

We had a teacher of the deaf in support of our child and she ran through things we needed to be aware of when I arranged for her to come along and speak to the whole staff.

It did not effect her play or social interactions with the children and of course there were speech issues but to be honest we have had children who were not deaf who did not make the progress she did. If there is anything specific you need to know then please ask and I will do my best to help.

When did the child coming to your setting have the implant and do they use sign as well?

Hi

We had a little girl for two years with an implant. The only thing you have to get used to is putting the external earpiece back into place when they knock it off during play, however you will probably find the other children become very adept at replacing it for you!!

We had a teacher of the deaf in support of our child and she ran through things we needed to be aware of when I arranged for her to come along and speak to the whole staff.

It did not effect her play or social interactions with the children and of course there were speech issues but to be honest we have had children who were not deaf who did not make the progress she did. If there is anything specific you need to know then please ask and I will do my best to help.

When did the child coming to your setting have the implant and do they use sign as well?

Hi,

We do have his Teacher of the Deaf who is trying to organise his own personal support worker, I just wanted some info in adance that I'm sure she will give me eventually. I'm glad the implant doesn't sound too delicate. He's a lovely, bright little boy who is currently visiting with mum or dad who both sign so we are not to to encourage speech!

Thanks for the answers, looks like I'm worrying too much, as usual.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)