Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Socket Covers

louby loo

But there is nothing to stop a child poking something long and thin into the top pin and opening up the bottom ones either!

I would say for the time being that you should just check that your covers are fitting in properly and not overly easy to remove. Make sure that you don't have any extremely long thin pointy bits of metal handy........ Oh hang on a minute, you mean that you generally don't let the children have access to long thin pointy bits of metal? Silly old me! :o Joking aside, it's a good thing to look at your routine procedures every now and then to make sure you are keeping the children safe. However, the scenarios put forward in the video are so extremely unlikely in a preschool setting that I would say that unless you are negligent it can't happen.

Drat.... does that mean I'd best cancel the under two knitting club then??

xD:(:(:(

xx

I have just had the following email from ofsted;

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your e-mail.

In response to your enquiry, Ofsted have not released anything stating that the use of sockets plug covers is no longer required. Unfortunately we are unsure as to where they have received this information from.

I hope you find this information helpful. However should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

Haha. I used to do knitting with Brownies and that was bad enough!

Well you might get better results using wool, Cait!

The PLA accreditation people are looking into it (sockets, not knitting) with a view to reviewing their policies - so I'll keep you posted as and when I receive a reply.

Maz

Edited by HappyMaz

We to have socket covers on all sockets and even though I and other members of staff have broken many a finger nail when trying to remove them I wouldn't be without them. When we were ofsteded last year our inspector actually checked that each socket was covered!!!!

The PLA accreditation people are looking into it (sockets, not knitting) with a view to reviewing their policies - so I'll keep you posted as and when I receive a reply.

My PLA friend has been sent the following link in answer to her enquiry. Click here to see what Rospa has to say about it!

Maz

Didn't know you could get decorated ones

Nor me - but then I suppose my children are a little old for all that now! Its very sensible though - having a child-attracting design on a socket cover does seem to rather defeat the object, doesn't it?

Maz

we use them, i cant see how they can be put in upside down! ill have a go tomorrow!! as to ofsted i had a fit person interview (very belated! last month, it went really well then on the way out the inspector pointed out that one socket didnt have a cover in in the reception area!!

Ooh and did you tell them you were waiting for advice?

didnt know there was a debate about them at the time! just mumbled an apology and went off to berate the member of staff who left it out after hoovering up a load of sawdust a child had dropped on the way back to pre school to change heidi the hamsters bed!!!

• 2 weeks later...

:o people that come up with these ideas don't actually spend time with the children iot would seem, neither have they looked at the socket covers, as well said before we cannot remove them let alone a child!

we will continue to use them, and feel they reduce the chance of anything happening

:o people that come up with these ideas don't actually spend time with the children iot would seem, neither have they looked at the socket covers, as well said before we cannot remove them let alone a child!

we will continue to use them, and feel they reduce the chance of anything happening

hi and welcome to the best forum ever!!!!

All very interesting! I have always used them in Pre-School because they are required by Ofsted, although never used them at home with my 3 children who are all now safely grownup!

I always felt that the liklihood of a child performing all the procedures necessary to actually electrocute themselves so unlikely and have never in 30 years of practise met a child who was remotely interested in sockets other than for their actual purpose.

We often treat children as though they are imbeciles rather than teach them the proper use adn healthy respect for "dangerous" items

The same applies to allowing them to cut vegetables etc using sharp knives - much safer under supervision than using blunt ones!

I shall follow this with interest!

Janet

Welcome Janet - if I've not already said so. Good to hear your common sense and I fully agree with you. When they were children, mine were taught what they could touch and what they couldn't. My husband could leave his soldering iron on the hearth and say 'Don't touch!' and they wouldn't. Perhaps we were just very lucky

Guest tinkywinky

If the sockets have been safe since 1947 why have covers been recommended. It seems that there must have been cases where children have been injured playing with plug sockets but the risk of any accidents happening when sockets are covered seem very low. A child would have to be determind to prise the cover off and then to put it back the wrong way and then to poke their fingers in the holes. We probably take more risk crossing the road every day. It cetainly does make it difficult for me in as a childminder.

Hmm yes - you need a knife to pull the socket covers out .................

Maybe I could include this 'risk' in my risk assessment, but the final decision, risks considered would certainly be to leave them in. I work in a Pre-School. Is it me, or has the world gone mad?

Guest Jollytots

Did anybody grow up with socket covers from a child? I didn't but have been made to feel paranoid if I don't put them into every conceivable socket - just another sign of the neurotic times that we live in!!! We remain innocent when using them until proved guilty by Ofsted!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

As this fascinating thread followed the 'In My View' article in Nursery World, we've been researching the official line etc on socket covers for a follow-up to give some guidance. If you've had any interesting inspection experiences or would be willing to comment on this (lots of good examples above!), Annette on our team would love to hear from you - nurseryworld@haymarket.com.

Edited by LizzieJ

This is the response I received from Ofsted in answer to my question on whether they had changed their recommendations on the use of socket covers:-

Thank you for your e-mail.

In response to your enquiry please be advised that Ofsted neither recommends nor prohibits the use of socket covers; instead we look at how registered providers ensure their premises are as safe as possible for children. It is for the provider to decide as part of the risk assessment they carry out at their premises how best to protect children from dangers associated with electric sockets and appliances. Providers may wish to consult the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (ROSPA) and Child Accident Protection Trust websites for information to help them make a decision about the use of socket covers.

The ROSPA advice can be found at: http://www.rospa.com/homesafety/advice/ele...ity/policy.html

The Childcare Accident Protection Trust advice can be found at http://www.capt.org.uk/parents/safety-advi...cal-safety.html

I hope you find this information helpful. However should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

Caroline Ashworth

Customer Service Advisor

Ofsted - National Business Unit

TEL: 08456 40404

• 3 weeks later...