Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

A Girl Heavy Reception Class

All of our children came together after christmas full time. We have 26 children and is quite different from other years in that we have over half the class made up of girls. They are very dominating but also quite immature. We have always had to deal with quite difficult behaviour from the boys and made our planning to fit accrodingly the thread thats going at the moment about boys writing sparked me into writing this as i feel we have worked very hard on getting the boys to write with maps and making it more interactive and going outside but now wow a whole u turn. The boys we have are lovely and just get on with things write, read, play nicely. Its the girls that are bickering, bossing each other, some are quite rude they are quite hard work and its completely thrown us (i'm part of a jobshare)

Just really looking for some sympathy really and any advice as stumped at the moment as how to tackle the behaviour and is anyone else out there in the same position??

Oh no! well, all I can say is you've succeeded with the boys, now you know you can do it with the girls! They generally love stickers in my experience - some good pretty ones available all over the place!

As Cait says, you managed it with the boys....

Yes, girls are harder, when they exhibit these behaviours - observe, then come out with something they like, with enhancements, is my best shot right now .. end of weekend!

Sounds like the boys have been stealing the girls' domain and they have had to find other ways of 'being' in order to stamp their authority on the class!

I was on a Sally Thomas training a while ago and she was discussing how a surge of testosterone affects boys and girls differently, and how girls like to control things and be organised (I believe the 'bossy' word was even mentioned at one point :o ).

Could you give these girls some areas of responsibility which might give them other things to think about? Conflict resolution techniques aimed at helping the girls see how their behaviour affects others in the class (not least the teaching staff) might help them choose other methods of getting their own way.

As others have said, observing the girls and then finding out what they're interested in just as you did with the boys might also help them engage with learning rather than acting out.

Good luck - reading what I've said I can see how it might be easier for us in pre-school with our lower adult: child ratios. I can well understand your frustrations. Here's hoping for a better week!

Maz

Thank you. We have stickers and we do try to plan and work on from childrens interests but the girls do not seem to have any strong ideas?? they have occasionally said about Barbie and fairies but they are enjoying the work we have out. We have a vets at the moment which they love and they do like building with the duplo and playing outside and cutting and sticking but they just seem to bicker and argue but its not just a couple of them but quite a lot of them - a clash of very strong characters. The thing that has got me as i have a little girl myself who is a similar age so feel that i should be coping better if thats makes sense.

I know exactly where you are coming from. I have the opposite situation. I have 25 children 18 of which are boys. We have one entry each year and so far only 4 have had their 5th birthday. 18 have Summer term birthdays. I have noticed such a difference in what they as a class are doing now compared to last year and we (part of a job share) have had to tailor our curriculum to the boys.

Sorry haven't been any help in terms of ideas but just wanted you to know the I am in a similar situation.

• 2 weeks later...

i know where your coming from i am an nqt with a clas of 24 which has 19 girls!i left them with a supply teacher one afternoon and full blown brawls took place! i tend to put less things out like 2 glue sticks so they have no choice but to take turns etc, or 5 pencils at a table of 6 small day to day things like that.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)