Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sri Lankan Festival Ideas

Hi I am trying to reflect the local community (which has a very high Sri Lanken population but I can't seem to find any festivals etc. Can anyone help?

I can find out when the festivals are. I think new year is April but it doesn't really explain how they celebrate it. Yes I think we need to speak to parents.

I don't think you would offend anyone by admitting to not knowing much and asking for them to share with you.

If you have a number of families its worth finding out which religion they belong to, although more SRi Lankans are Buddhist than anything else, there are also Hindus and Moslems too and each will celebrate their own religious fetsivals.

Im fairly sure you are right about new year being in April, I dont think its to do with the moon, though rather the sun (dragging memory bank here but something to do with Aries comes to mind?). I think there is also independence day which is coming up very soon.

I would ask the parents, you never know there may be one who is preapred to come in and talk to you all about what they do to celebrate these occasions.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)