Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

E230

Thanks Geraldine, I was going to go with science and then started having second thoughts. Yes part 1 well established knowledge in two areas, part 2 emerging knowledge in same two areas and part 3 re visit one incident and use third area so I could use the boys language for that.

Goodness your on the ball, I have looked at the cd as we had a telephone tutorial but thats it really.

I am tryin to write tma 8 for E115 which has to be in on tuesday nxt week, having a nightmare!

On the positive though I have just had my tma result bac and feel a little better :-)

Vicky

Sorry to ask, but I am just finishing E123 and E124, as I did the 2 together. Is it possible to do E243 & E230 together, and can I do it before I do E115. I am confused as some say doing E115 and E125 after each other is easier, so to get the other 2 out of the way first is best?. Anybody got any other ideas, I would like to know. What sort of study time am I looking at if I did the 2 together?. I am used to swapping one to another! Hope this makes sense?

I would say that with the workload of E115, you'd be better doing that one on its own. E230 and 243 are quite demanding too. There are folk who tackle more than one at once but the level 2 courses aren't as simple as the level 1s

Edited by Cait

I would say that with the workload of E115, you'd be better doing that one on its own. E230 and 243 are quite demanding too. There are folk who tackle more than one at once but the level 2 courses aren't as simple as the level 1s

Thanks for the advice. I think I may go slow and steady like the tortoise, rather than be the hare and burn myself out. I am in no rush to get it done, as long as it's done by 2015. It's nice to talk to those who have been through it. Thanks.

I think that it is also worth bearing in mind that level 2 courses are graded. Whereas with E123/124 you end up either passing or failing the course - it doesn't matter if you get 48 or 93 for assignments all the way through, at the end the overall result is a straightforward pass/fail.

With level 2 and 3 course your final result is graded and you get one of four levels: distinction, pass 2, pass 3 or pass 4. If you intend to continue to BA (Hons) Early Years these 'course grades' will be used to decide your degree classification.

We are all different and some people are not interested in actual marks so long as they reach the required pass score but others care very much about marks.

When I did my level 2 courses I understood that they were graded but did not realise the significance these grades would have in the future but at the time the OU did not offer a BA and the thought of continuing to that level of study had not entered my head!!!!!

If you are in no rush I would do E243 and E230 on their own which will allow you time to enjoy them both. I loved both of them and my only criticism of E243 was that it came to an end :o E230 was also a great favourite, good luck with them both

• 2 weeks later...
Is anyone doing E230 via the OU? I have to list my strengths and weaknesses for literacy, maths and science I don't think I have any strengths for science only studied for about a year at secondary school years ago. Any ideas?

Hi

I am also studying E230 at present with OU and also finishing E115. I am present trying to complete E115 TMA before attempting to concentrate on E230. If you would find it beneficial to chat I would be more than happy to.

Thank

Jo

When I did my level 2 courses I understood that they were graded but did not realise the significance these grades would have in the future but at the time the OU did not offer a BA and the thought of continuing to that level of study had not entered my head!!!!!

quote]

Just saw this reply Geraldine and wondered what you meant by it. What significience did your level 2 grades have on your BA? I'm following the same OU route as you so I'm not just being nosy.....promise! :o

Hi just reading your notes and just was adding that i am also doing the e230 just received my results for my tma maybe we could chat about the course di

Hi

I am also studying E230 at present with OU and also finishing E115. I am present trying to complete E115 TMA before attempting to concentrate on E230. If you would find it beneficial to chat I would be more than happy to.

Thank

Jo

That was another route I had thought about. How do you find doing the 2 courses?. I find that doing e123 and e124 a bit confusing at times as they overlap. It would be great to have some feedback to the course as I'm still unsure as to what to do.

Just saw this reply Geraldine and wondered what you meant by it. What significience did your level 2 grades have on your BA? I'm following the same OU route as you so I'm not just being nosy.....promise! :o

Hi

You can achieve BA in Early Years by passing all the relevant courses. If you continue to BA (Hons) in Early Years then your degree classification is calculated using quite a complex scoring system!

The OU take your best results at level 2 and 3 ( 120 course points of study at each level)and give them a 'score' and for your level 3 results the score is doubled. These are then all added together and the total will decide your degree classification.

The score they give you is the number of study points of the course multiplied by your grade

so for example completing E230 with a Pass 2 would give you 60 points towards your degree classifcation (30pt course value X 2 (due to pass 2). Oddly the lower your final 'score' then the higher your degree. To achieve a first class honours degree you need a total of 630 or less with an added proviso of having achieved at least one distinction at level 3. They also double the 'score' for your level 3 courses. So if you got a pass 2 for a level 3 60 point course your 'score' would be 240 (60 pts X 2 and then doubled) a pass 3 would be a score of 360 ( 60 pts x 3 and doubled)

Does that help or make any sense at all?? If not I am happy to share my results so far via your mailbox which might give a better overall picture. All being well I should graduated in December this year with my BA (Hons) - the course finishes in September but we have to wait ages for the results!!

Effectively the higher the grade of pass for each course will mean a lower final 'score' and the lower the score the better class of degree - complicated isn't it!!!!!!

Guest mukerjee1

Geraldine,

Thank you very much for this info - brilliant. I have only Eca for E115 to finish, E243 and good ole E215 to tackle before I hope to have finished in 2010. I had no idea that this is how the system worked, having not read all the 'bumpf' they send you. Thanks again.

Fiona

Geraldine,

Thank you very much for this info - brilliant. I have only Eca for E115 to finish, E243 and good ole E215 to tackle before I hope to have finished in 2010. I had no idea that this is how the system worked, having not read all the 'bumpf' they send you. Thanks again.

Fiona

HI

Glad it was helpful :o When I moved from level 1 to level 2 study I understood that level 2 courses were graded but just thought that it 'went with the territory' of level 2 study. Luckily my grades are OK but I do know some students who are now in the position of wishing they had put more effort into their early studies.

I guess it all depends on personal views - some are happy with a degree and others care deeply about the classification. I just think forarmed it forewarned or whatever the expression is. If you want to see the nitty gritty details there is an article 'how we work out your degree classification' on the OU website.

Good luck with the rest of your studies xD

Edited by Geraldine

Does that help or make any sense at all?? If not I am happy to share my results so far via your mailbox which might give a better overall picture. All being well I should graduated in December this year with my BA (Hons) - the course finishes in September but we have to wait ages for the results!!

Thanks Geraldine. If you wouldn't mind sharing I'd be very interested to see your results. I'm coming up to TMA2 in E243 and finish E115 in beginning of June. Time seems to go so quickly when your studying and I'm sure it will be no time before I'm doing the BA (Hons), hopefully!

The scoring is almost as if the better you do in each course the worse off you are in terms of points you recieve. Is my understanding correct? I'll wait to hear from you if I can before I decide to think about this any further. It may make more sense then!

Geraldine, I see that you are almost at the end of your Degree. How does that feel? It must be a great feeling after the years you have spent studying to be nearing the end. I look forward to your post announcing your achievement in December!! :o

Thanks again.

The scoring is almost as if the better you do in each course the worse off you are in terms of points you recieve. Is my understanding correct? I'll wait to hear from you if I can before I decide to think about this any further. It may make more sense then!

Geraldine, I see that you are almost at the end of your Degree. How does that feel? It must be a great feeling after the years you have spent studying to be nearing the end. I look forward to your post announcing your achievement in December!! :o

Thanks again.

Yes your understanding about the scoring is correct and initially it confused me! The lower your score for the degree classification equals the higher the degree! So doing really well by getting distinctions in level 2 / 3 courses you get a 'low' score for the classification but the lower the final score the higher the classification!!

To be nearly at the end has mixed feelings for me. I started out with the OU in 2003 and cannot believe that was six years ago! I have been a guinea pig all the way through with every course I have done being a first presentation. I achieved the BA in Early Years in December last year and whilst I was thrilled I had a feeling of not being quite 'there'! hence me now doing the final course to gain the Hons.

Will 'spell out' my results/degree position to your mailbox - a bit shy doing it here xD

That was another route I had thought about. How do you find doing the 2 courses?. I find that doing e123 and e124 a bit confusing at times as they overlap. It would be great to have some feedback to the course as I'm still unsure as to what to do.

To be honest I had planned to do this again in October to finish the Foundation Degree, however I found it to be too stressful. Working full time and attempting to fit it all in has been a nightmare. I have not really enjoyed E115, found it hard to get to grips with. I am wondering now if this has been down to the tutor as all the previous tutors have been enthusiastic. However the tutor for E115 is hard to judge and quite impatient.

If anyone has any help for TMA08 E115 I would be grateful. We all had a two week extension and I have been staring at screen for a week and got nowhere.

Thanks

Jo

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)